Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

VS2010 solution conversion wizard and Intel projects

gil_mo
Beginner

Hi,

My VS2005 solution contains Intel projects (i.e. .icproj).

In VS2010, attempting to load the solution brings up the 'solution conversion wizard', however the wizard attempts to convert the Intel .icproj too, and deals with the "Version" field as if it had Microsoft-style numbering.

To explain, a VS2005 project hasVersion="8.00". an Intel 11.1 project (.icproj) hasVersion="11.1". Now 11.1 isn't recognized by the wizard as a valid version, and so the conversion emits an error:

'11.1' violates enumeration constraint of '7.00 7,00 7.10 7,10 8.00 8,00 9.00 9,00'. The attribute 'Version' with value '11.1' failed to parse.

I suspect this is also causing the conversion wizard to reappear when reopening theallegedlyconverted solution.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Gil.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gil_mo
Beginner
*BUMP*
Didn't anyone encounter this error?
Need help :(
Gil.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
We resolved this problem for Gil in Premier Support some time ago, but I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone else finds this via search. The problem is fixed in C++ Composer XE 2011 update 8. It also has a workaround. Backup the .icproj file for your project, then open up the .icprojfile, and look for:

RelativePath=".\"

where is some path and filename with a .c or .cpp name. Remove the starting "." so that it looks like:

RelativePath=""

and then save the .icproj. Then do the conversion, and it should work.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting gil_mo
'11.1' violates enumeration constraint of '7.00 7,00 7.10 7,10 8.00 8,00 9.00 9,00'. The attribute 'Version' with value '11.1' failed to parse.

I had the same error today butin my case it was caused by a different reason: I tried toopen a VS2008
solution inVS2005.

I really don't like these solution \ projectupgrades because it creates lots of different incompatibility
problems. Especially, when you need to use an older VS after some upgrades are already done.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890
I really don't like these solution \ projectupgrades because it creates lots of different incompatibility
problems. Especially, when you need to use an older VS after some upgrades are already done.

IMO This depends on the task you want to achieve and a complexety of the project.

For example, in Intel TBB we support VS2005 as the oldest studio and all samples projects are based onVS2005 or Compiler 12.1. They all rely on compilers converters and work pretty well with some warnings for the latest studio.

Even if your team work in one studio on one big project you need to think that in a few years you need to upgrade the build to newer compiler version because of new bug fixes and new security and other features.

--Vladimir

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
...Even if your team work in one studio on one big project you need to think that in a few years you need to upgrade the build to newer compiler version...

Vladimir,

Small software companies simplycan't afford to spend thousand ofdollars on such upgrades every a couple
of years. Also, some big corporations in the US are still using Visual Studio 98 and eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0.
You would be very surprised to hearnames of these corporations!

Thank for your feedback.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos