Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

VS2015+Intel 2016 Upd 2 (Beta). Compiling

Miket
Beginner

Hello,

I have VS2013 Pro, VS 2015 Community, and Intel 2016 Upd 2 (Beta) installed. Since there are some problems with new Windows 10 run-time support, I would like to compile my targets against older (v120) toolset in order to use VS2013 run-time dlls.

In the case of Visual Studio compiler this can be done quite easily: by selecting "Platform Toolset" option = v120.

In the case of Intel C++ we have additional choices, like "Base Platform Toolset":

Clipboard01.gif

It is logical to expect that when "v120" option is selected, Intel Compiler will use VS 2013 run-times, etc. Nevertheless it looks like the selection of "Base Platform Toolset" has no influence on compilation results, in all cases Windows 10 run-time is used.

Is it a bug? Should I submit it to support?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Light_Intel

"It is logical to expect that when "v120" option is selected, Intel Compiler will use VS 2013 run-times, etc.?" The answer is "Yes". The Intel Compiler is configured to use the VS version specified in the Base Platform Toolset.

As for your second question. Can you please elaborate to insure the issue is well understood? Also, can you please supply a test case so I could try and reproduce it on my side?

Regards,

Noga 

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Dear Noga,

I created and attached a very simple DLL project illustrating this issue. It should be opened in VS2015, with Intel 2015 upd 2 installed. Additionally VS2013 should be available and configured correctly in order to provide v120 toolset.

This project is configured exactly as shown at the screenshot of my first message: Platform Toolset = Intel C++ Compiler 16.0 and Base Platform Toolset = v120.

In this configuration I expect that produced DLLs will use run-time libraries of the VS 2013.

Nevertheless both x86 and x64 DLLs (they are also available in corresponding subfolders) still use VS2015 run-time!

You can check that these dlls are importing libmmd.dll (it is ok!) and VCRUNTIME140.dll, api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll related to VS2015.

It looks like "Base Platform Toolset" option has no influence at the result of compilation.

Hope this example will clarify the situation.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Super job Michael. I was indeed able to duplicate your test case. I will escalate the issue to our developers. Thank you for pointing it out.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Thank you for forwarding this case to developers. At least now I know that I should simply wait.

BTW, should we expect Beta upd 3, or everything is already in pre-release stage?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Dear Noga,

I just installed initial 2016 release version.

Unfortunately this problem is still available.

Hope it will be fixed in SP1. Any chances?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

The issue is marked as resolved. However, the build date is 8/17/2015, which is later than our 2016 release of 8/15/2015. It is likely to be included in Update 1.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

The fix had been included in 2016 Update 1 release. Can you please let me know if you still see this issue?

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Dear Noga,

I just tried to recompile a DLL with this combintation of settings and it correctly links to older run-time.

Thus you can consider this issue as fixed!

Thank you!

Michael

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

Excellent. Thank you for verifying.

Noga

0 Kudos