Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

VTune 9 and C++ Compiler integration issues?

postaquestion
Beginner

I had vTune 9 installed and everything was ok. After installing latest C++ compiler (with integration to VS2005), loading a project takes a few minutes(!) during which the devEnv is reading repeatability some files (list available).

I removed the vtune integration, but still the problem persists.

Configuration:
VS 2005, 8,0.50727.42 (without SP1)
Intel C++ compiler integration: 10.1.689.2005
vTune

top of stack trace (captured using ProcMon from the file access)
C:WINDOWSMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727diasymreader.dll
C:Program FilesIntelVTuneAnalyzerBinCPI.dll

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JenniferJ

when you remove VTune integration, did you remove it from "Add/Remove" program? it's strange that the VTune cpi.dll is also invoked.

Can you try on a different machine without VTune 9? or please attach the .vcproj file so I can try.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Jennifer, this may be the VTune issue. I have VS2008, VTune 9.0 update 7 and ICC 10.1.021 installed. Check this thread and look for the issue #8 in the list I made. Check attached screenshots as well.

0 Kudos
noam_cohen
Beginner

I used the Add/Remove and chose "Modify" when the installshield window opened. Then removed the integration part.

When I renamed cpi.dll , performance got ok again.

My solution file contains several projects. At first I thought the project was defective, but when removing it (simply renaming the vcproj file), another project took the fire when trying to load.

By the way: running vTune instandalone , (with cpi.dll proper name), the profiling is working. However, I get strange results -- parts of it due to my full ignorance in this tool no doubt. The Tunning advice is just showing clock ticks. the sample code (in the tutorial ) tends to crash (maybe we can get some insight from this?)

thanks

Noam C.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Regarding slow start up of Visual Studio, please see http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/vtune/sb/cs-028964.htm.

0 Kudos
noam_cohen
Beginner

thanks. it worked.

Every time vTune crashes (yes, it happens occasionally), the env variables should be checked

0 Kudos