Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Variables in nested scope not visible to Visual C++ 2013 debuggger

AndrewC
New Contributor III

I am re-posting this as I think Intel only replies to new posts.

I am using Intel Compiler C++ XE 2015 Update 6, with Visual Studio 2013 ( 64-bit code). When in full debug mode variables that are declared in "nested scope(s)" in a function ( for example declared local inside for loop) are completely  invisible to the Visual Studio debugger... this makes debugging a complete and utter nightmare. I am compiling  /Zi /Od and linking with appropriate options.

Switching back to Visual C++ as the compiler, corrects the issue. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening  or a workaround?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi @vasci_,
I've escalated this to the engineering team and will keep you updated accordingly. This is based on a test case filed similar to this issue. BTW, if you also do have a small reproducer appreciate if you can attach as well?

Thanks,
Kittur

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Sorry, small test cases seem to work fine.

This problem has been in the Intel Compiler for some time. It seems to come and go. I am at my "wits end" at the moment as I am having to do bad things to my code by changing all variables to "function scope" just to debug., or resort to "print" statements, sadly.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Understood, thanks for your patience @vasci_. This issue has been escalated at a higher priority to the product team and will keep you updated.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Has any progress been made on this? Or tips to avoid the issue. It is becoming almost impossible to debug.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi @vasci_,
The latest status I have on this issue is that it's being worked on but I don't have an estimate on when the release with the fix will be out.  There's no workaround as well (presently).  BTW, I'll be transitioning so my peer would be supporting you on this going forward and will keep you updated. Again, your patience, as always is much appreciated.
Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Thanks, at least the problem is recognised  and reproducible.

No trying to read too much into your 'transitioning ' comment but I do hope that the Intel layoffs are not affecting the tools group. I think Intel may need to give some reassurance as to the state of their  on-going commitment to desktop compilers and tools (MKL, IPP ,TBB etc)

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Of course, you're right. The compilers and other SW products are completely supported with the same excellence you've been receiving all these years. Good point though and thanks for continuing to file issues and for your feedback, which helps us improve our products further, appreciate much.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos