Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Vectorization with Intel C++ 2022, VS 2022

wmeier
Novice

Vectorization using VS 2022

Under Properties, Configuration Properties, C/C++

Code Generation, Enable Enhanced Instruction Set Intel(R) Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (/arch:AVX512)
Code Generation [Intel C++], Intel Processor-Specific Optimization None

This apparently uses the clang vectorizer, which provides optimization diagnostics in the Compiler Optimization Report tab, and in Optimization Notes in Text Editor.

When using a processor-specific option in Code Generation [Intel C++]:

Code Generation [Intel C++], Intel Processor-Specific Optimization Intel(R) Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel(R) AVX-512) for Intel(R) Xeon(R) processors (/QxCORE-AVX512)

This overrides the setting in Code Generation, Enable Enhanced Instruction Set, and apparently uses a different vectorizer than clang.

Using this setting, I no longer get optimization diagnostics in the Compiler Optimization Report tab, nor in Optimization Notes in Text Editor.

Instead, the compiler is generating YAML files. The compiler manual describes a way to view the YAML files using opt-viewer.py, but I cannot find this file in my installation.

What is the best way to get feedback from the compiler regarding vectorization results when using VS 2022 and

Code Generation [Intel C++], Intel Processor-Specific Optimization Intel(R) Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel(R) AVX-512) for Intel(R) Xeon(R) processors (/QxCORE-AVX512)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wmeier
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

1) The first PDF link addresses vectorization with the icl compiler, and has a copyright notice from 2010.  Is there a similar document that addresses vectorization with the icx compiler?

2) Yes, I have enabled the reports using Optimization Diagnostic Level set to Level 3 (/Qopt-report:3).

3) The third link is specific to the Fortran compiler, I am using C++.  The icx compiler does not generate a ".optrpt" file, it generates a ".opt.yaml" file.  Is there any way to review these "yaml" files on Windows?  I have not found the opt-viewer.py in my OneAPI Windows installation.

4) I do not have the "Guided Auto Parallelism" option under Tools in VS 2022.

0 Kudos
Abhishek81
Novice
Let me check on this and then I will update accordingly.
0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please let us know if the above links resolve your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
wmeier
Novice

No, the links did not resolve my issue.

Please see my original post.  I am looking for a way to get vectorization optimization diagnostics/reporting from icx when using "Code Generation [Intel C++], Intel Processor-Specific Optimization Intel(R) Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel(R) AVX-512) for Intel(R) Xeon(R) processors (/QxCORE-AVX512)".

The compiler create YAML files, but I have no way of viewing those on Windows (opt-viewer.py is not included in the oneAPI directories).

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

>>"but I have no way of viewing those on Windows (opt-viewer.py is not included in the oneAPI directories)."

The opt-viewer.py is not part of the oneAPI directories. You need to download opt-viewer.py externally from the llvm-toolchain(llvm/tools/opt-viewer).For generating an optimization report and how to use opt-viewer.py, please refer to the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/compiler-options/optimization-report-options/qopt-report-qopt-report.html

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth.

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please provide an update on your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos
HemanthCH_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards,

Hemanth

0 Kudos