Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Visual Studio 2012- cannot see "Use Intel C++" in properties submenu

T_C
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed Visual Studio 2012 and then just installed the Intel Compiler 2003. I know that when I want to select the Intel compiler I should right-click the project, go down to "Intel Composer XE 2013" and then it should say "Use Intel C++". However, all it says is "Start Performance Guide".

I had a look round the configuration settings and it looks like its still using the VC compiler. 

How can I get the Intel compiler to be used? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Since this is the 2nd report about some integration issues between VS 2012 and Intel Composer XE 2013 ( ICXE 2013 ) it is possible that there is a bug in the ICXE 2013 installer. Please take a look at another thread ( 1st one ) related to the same problem: Forum Topic: Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Compatibility? Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/401506
0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Ok I have looked through that post and I can confirm none of the following work:

Start -> Programs -> Intel ->  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 -> Parallel Studio XE 2013 with VS2012

Start -> Programs -> Intel ->  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 -> Parallel Studio XE 2013 with VS2010

Start -> Programs -> Intel ->  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 -> Intel Compiler XE -> Using VS2012

Start -> Programs -> Intel ->  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 -> Intel Compiler XE -> Using VS2010

As you can probably guess- I have VS2010 installed too. Both Visual Studios are Professional Editions. Once again, if I open an existing C++ project, or if I create a new one, upon right-clicking the solution (or the project) when I go to "Intel Composer XE 2013" the only available sub menu is "Start Performance Guide".

If I go to Project Properties -> Configuration Properties -> General -> Platform Toolset

there is no mention of Intel there. I also have VS2010 Professional installed on my main PC and it works fine. Please help

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you tried to install the Intel64 compiler on a 32-bit OS (which might not be intentional), I believe you would need to specify both the x86 32-bit and (additionally) X64 (64-bit) Microsoft C++.  You would need a 64-bit OS installation to run the .exe built for X64 mode.  On 64-bit OS, VS2012 would install 32- and 64-bit MSVC++ together.  You would also need to set your project to X64 if you are trying to make a 64-bit build (which would be the normal choice on X64 64-bit Windows.  Sorry, but when you don't specify your choices, there are too many possibilities to discuss.

In the other thread to which Sergey referred, the question was resolved in the end when X64 installation was concentrated upon.

0 Kudos