Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

Visual Studio 2015 (Update 3) cannot see Intel C++ Composer XE 2015

Giampaolo_T_
Beginner

Hi, 

I have installed Visual Studio 2015 (directly with Update 3) and then Intel C++ Composer XE 2015.0.108 for Windows. Both are full installations. 

When I open any of the examples contained in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\Samples, as well as the online example in () I get the error:

The build tools for Intel C++ Compiler XE 15.0 (Platform Toolset = 'Intel C++ Compiler XE 15.0') cannot be found. To build using the Intel C++ Compiler XE 15.0 build tools, please install Intel C++ Compiler XE 15.0 build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".   

How can I interface VS2015 with Intel C++ Composer?

Thanks and kind regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mike_F_2
Beginner

I'm also having this problem.  For a very expensive product, you'd think Intel would have responded to you by now...

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

We've discussed this several times on this forum.  The oldest version of ICL to work with VS2015.3 is 2016 update 3.  The requirements doc for ICL 2015 updates 5-7 says VS2015 is supported, but VS2015.1 was the last one to work with ICL 2015u4-7, and that's of no help now.  Now that ICL 2017 has been released, it seems unlikely that a new ICL 2015 update would be released to support current VS2015.  If ICL 2015 is still needed, VS2012 and 2013 (all updates) are supported (and 2013 doesn't cost extra, for most customers).  While the Intel people on this list have not all agreed with what I just stated, some have.

It's somewhat understandable, with the unpredictable incompatible updates of VS, that Intel doesn't update all past compilers which may still be in use.

0 Kudos
Mike_F_2
Beginner
Edit: to clarify I need the mobile (assuming Intel® System Studio) not the other one since I'm building for mobile devices (intel atom chip running on the MS HoloLens)   Is there a version of system studio for 2017?  Or do I need to use the other one and if so will that work for the HoloLens mobile device?
0 Kudos
Royi
Novice

I would also add that the Open MP option isn't shown on VS 2013 Update 5 using Intel Composer 2016 Update 3.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In my view under VS2013, ifort 16.0.3, there is OpenMP selection under properties Fortran>Language.   It's maybe a bit counter-intuitive that auto-parallel OpenMP is on the main properties menu while normal OpenMP is buried.  I don't use any one incarnation of the GUI frequently enough to be used to any particular organization.

It was enough of a hassle to get there, having to log into Microsoft to get permission to run VS2013 GUI, create a new Fortran console project, and so on....

In accordance with the discussion above, I haven't used VS2013 since I was checking an application out under ifort 15.0.7.  I had enough issues myself over the different ways it was working in GUI and command line, but I didn't have any problem with setting OpenMP.

0 Kudos