Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Visual Studio 2015 integration

Finn_H_
Novice

Hi,

I had Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 2012 server installed with Intel C/C++ composer 2013 edition - all working fine for years.

I then recently purchased an upgrade to Intel PS XE 2016 Cluster edition, installed it with VS2012 addon option - all working fine. I can now compile my VS2012 projects using Intel C/C++ 2016. 

I then installed Visual Studio 2015 Community. The installation succeeded (and I remembered to include Visual C++ tools). The problem is now:

How do I get Visual Studio 2015 to use Intel 2016 compiler? (there is no project option "Use Intel compiler / Use Visual C++) like I have in VS2012. If i just try to open vs solution file and rebuild I get this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 16.0\ImportBefore\Intel.Libs.MKL.Intel C++ Compiler 16.0.targets(66,5): error MSB6003: The specified task executable "cmd.exe" could not be run. The working directory "\mkl\tools" does not exist.

I thought I would just have to modify the Intel compiler installation and add "Visual Studio 2015 option", but the intel compiler does not give me this option. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the Intel Compiler to get this working or is there a way to get it working?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Finn,
The IPSXE 2016 installer does support Visual Studio 2015 Community edition. And all you need to do is to just do modify for PSXE 2016 from original package and install integration to VS2015. That said, the PSXE 2016 requires MS Visual C++ compiler as part of Visual Studio. And if  VC++ is not installed the installer detects it and will not allow integration into this Visual Studio.

By default, Visual Studio 2015 Community edition installer does not install VC++ compiler.  What you need to do is install VC++ for Visual Studio 2015 Community edition and then Modify PSXE 2016 installation to add VS2015 IDE support. It should install successfully right after. Please let me know if otherwise. Appreciate your patience through this.

_Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

After you install visual studio, you should be able to [re-] run the Intel compiler installation, which will recognize that there is a new visual studio and create the integration. Did you try that?

0 Kudos
Finn_H_
Novice

Yes - I tried that. I ran it from control panel to modify installation, but it does not detect any changes and does not give me any option to install Visual Studio 2015 integration.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Finn,
The IPSXE 2016 installer does support Visual Studio 2015 Community edition. And all you need to do is to just do modify for PSXE 2016 from original package and install integration to VS2015. That said, the PSXE 2016 requires MS Visual C++ compiler as part of Visual Studio. And if  VC++ is not installed the installer detects it and will not allow integration into this Visual Studio.

By default, Visual Studio 2015 Community edition installer does not install VC++ compiler.  What you need to do is install VC++ for Visual Studio 2015 Community edition and then Modify PSXE 2016 installation to add VS2015 IDE support. It should install successfully right after. Please let me know if otherwise. Appreciate your patience through this.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Finn_H_
Novice

Hi Kittur

Yes, im aware of this. This is what i ment when saying "(and I remembered to include Visual C++ tools)". Keep in mind that I already installed Intel PEXE 2016 succesfully, when I only had VS 2012 installed. This is working fine, and during installation it detected my VS2012, and I "ckecked" this integration for 2012 when installing. Everything works fine with compiling my VS2012 solutions using the IPEXE2016 C/C++ compiler.

The problem is I also need it for VS2015 which has been installed after. My question is if I have to completely uninstall IPEXE2016 and reinstall it to detect BOTH VS2012 and VS2015 ?   Or if there is an easier way.

I expected just to run the installer from control panel and choose modify install. But I am not given any option to install integration for VS2015 then. 

0 Kudos
Finn_H_
Novice

Hi Kittur

I believe your input has helped me to identify the problem. You said "modify for PSXE 2016 from original package and install integration to VS2015"

So far I have only run the "modify install" from the installed package IPSXE2016 in the control panel. Now I tried to run the "modify install" from the original package, and then it does indeed detect VS2015 !

After installing support for VS 2012 IDE + VS2015 IDE i opened my VS2012 solution file and rebuild all using Intel C/C++ 2016 compiler. All succeeded without any problem !

Thanks a lot for the help. :)

0 Kudos
Finn_H_
Novice

So to summarize (for my issue): 
If you install VS2015 after having Intel PSXE 2016 installed:

• when modifying an existing Intel PS XE 2016 installation using the installer from the control panel, it does not detect VS 2015 installed and you are not given the option to install VS 2015 IDE integration
  • When modifying an existing Intel PS XE 2016 installation using the original package (with new extraction) it does detect VS 2015 installed. 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

@Finn:  Great to hear it went through fine. Again, thanks for letting me know and appreciate your patience as well.

_Kittur

0 Kudos