Intel® C++ Compiler
Support and discussions for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
7568 Discussions

Way to disable nullptr check in placement new?

Dave_P_1
Beginner

Is there a way to disable the nullptr check in placement new?

As of C++17 the nullptr check is no longer required: "If the standard placement allocation function returns a null pointer, which is possible if the user passes a null pointer as the argument, the behavior is undefined. (since C++17)", from http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/new

The change to C++17 was made specifically to remove the nullptr check: "This test is unnecessary overhead; it should be the user's responsibility to ensure that a null pointer is not used in these forms of placement new, just as for other cases when a pointer is dereferenced.", from Defect Report 1748 at http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_defects.html

I am using the Intel C++ 64 compiler for Windows, version 18.0.0.124 Build 20170811.  Among the things that I have tried are the command line option /Qstd=c++17, and using the __assume statement as a hint to the optimizer that the memory pointer is not a nullptr.  Here is a snippet from the assembler output showing the nullptr check:

;;;   __assume( nullptr != MemoryPointer );
;;;   BaseClass* Pointer = new( MemoryPointer ) MyClass();
        test      rbx, rbx
        je        .B1.5
.B1.3::
        mov       rax, QWORD PTR [__$U2a.0.168]
        mov       QWORD PTR [rbx], rax
.B1.4::
        mov       rcx, rbx
        jmp       .B1.6
.B1.5::
        xor       ecx, ecx