Intel® C++ Compiler
Support and discussions for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
7568 Discussions

Weird error with variadic parameter pack expansion in constructor

Raffael_C_
Beginner

Hi,

I try to compile the following code on windows, Intel Compiler XE 2014 Update 1:

[cpp]

#include<memory>

struct CompositeGrid {

template<class... GRID_IMPL>

CompositeGrid(std::shared_ptr<GRID_IMPL>... gridImpls)  {    

}

};

int main() {

CompositeGrid a(std::shared_ptr<int>(new int(5)));

}

[/cpp]

However this fails with the following error message:

[cpp]

parameterPackExpansion.cpp(5): error: parameter pack "GRID_IMPL" was referenced

but not expanded CompositeGrid(std::shared_ptr<GRID_IMPL>... gridImpls)  {

parameterPackExpansion.cpp(5): error: pack expansion does not make use of any argument packs
      CompositeGrid(std::shared_ptr<GRID_IMPL>... gridImpls)  {

[/cpp]

I think this is a bug since it compiles sucessfully on gcc 4.8.2. and clang 3.4 (under linux). Weirdly enough the bug is resolved if the Constructor takes an additional, non-variadic first argument.

Cheers,

Raffael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Hello Raffael,

I believe this is the same problem as described in this note:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/501502

Please see my reply there for a description of the bug and a suggested workaround.

Sorry for the trouble!

Judy

Raffael_C_
Beginner

Hi Judy,

Thanks a lot, the problem that you mentioned is indeed very similar. I actually read that post before I posted mine because I was not sure that it is exactly the same. For me the difference is that in my case the constructor is a template in a usual class whereas in the case of Steffan it is a usual constructor in a class template (with variadic templates).

I just hope it will be fixed in one of the upcoming releases, util then I can emply the workaround:)

Raffael