Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

What does this mean: you will be unable to use Intel(R) C++ Compiler 11.0 within the Visual Studio IDE

Jan_Hardenbergh
Beginner
I just got and installed C++ Studio XE

I am in the middle of updgrading - c_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_setup.exe

I get this message.
Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio* is already installed.
If you proceed to install, the Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 IDE integration(s) will be uninstalled and the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 SP1 IDE integration will be installed. You will be able to select the Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 product from that integration; however, you will be unable to use the Intel C++ Compiler 11.0 within the Visual Studio IDE (if it is currently installed).

I am using Visual Studio 2005.
Microsoft Visual Studio Version 8.0.50727.867.
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved.

RUnning on Windows 7x64 (Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JenniferJ

In most case the msg tells that you have an older version of Intel C++ Composer XE IDE integration installed. Because the IDE integration from current installation is newer, the installation will uninstall the older version and install the newer one.

Our IDE integration allows you to select an older version of Intel C++ Compiler. But we can not maintain unlimited versions. So the msg says that the IntelC 11.0 will not be available from the new IDE integration. But IntelC 11.1 and later will be.

does it make sense for you now?

So in most case you do not need to worry about it. But if you still want to use the older compiler 11.0 from the VS IDE, you need to uninstall the new one and reinstall the older version.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Jan_Hardenbergh
Beginner
Yes, that makes sense.

What is missing for the warning is the key peice of information that you will be able to use the new version. The warnng appears to be saying you will not be able to use the Intel compiler with Visual Studio at all.

-Jan
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
I agree the warning could be clarified. I've submitted a request to our installation team to revise it. I'll keep you up to date on their status.
0 Kudos