Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Which version of GCC to use with ICPC?

Jakob__Wenzel
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using XE Composer 2017 on a current CentOS machine (7.2.1511) from Colfax.

Unfortunately working with ICPC in this setting is a pain, since it piggybacks on top of the installed GCC and its libstdc++. The GCC version 4.8.5 that ships with CentOS is positively ancient -- its C++11 support is not feature complete, and it does not support C++14 at all.

Thus I'm trying to install a new version of GCC & libstdc++ and get ICPC to work on top of that. I initially tried the HEAD version of gcc, but that does not work at all -- presumably it uses some features that are not yet supported by icpc.

Thus my question: what is the most up-to-date version of GCC & libstdc++ that is compatible with the Intel compiler? What steps do I need to take to get icpc to use that?

Thank you and best regards,
Wenzel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There are several answers to this. I would expect gcc 4.9.x to work with any recent icpc and additional features of g++ 5.4 to work with icpc 2017. I usually configure gcc to install in a separate directory such as /usr/local/gcc6/ and set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly along with icpc path. Professional sysadmins might consider module.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Thus my question: What is the most up-to-date version of GCC... I would recommend to try version 6.1.0, or some another major version 6.x. Older versions, like 4.9.x or 5.x, I would consider as obsolete. Note: A MinGW version 6.1.0, which is based on GCC, is very stable and so far I don't have any complaints after upgrading to one about 2 weeks ago.
0 Kudos
Jakob__Wenzel
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. I tried G++ 5.4 based on Tim P.'s feedback, and my application compiles now (including C++14 portions).

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... I tried G++ 5.4 based on Tim P.'s feedback, and my application compiles now (including C++14 portions)... I was usually updating MinGW C++ compiler once in about two years. After I've tried version 5 I decided to do updates more often in order to use new features as soon as they become available, especially support for new ISAs and OpenMP ( I'm not interested in new C++xx features ). In 2016 there were two upgrades: 4.9.2 -> 5.1.0 -> 6.1.0. Also, I always skip first inital releases, like, 4.0.0, 5.0.0 and 6.0.0.
0 Kudos