cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rong__amadeus
Beginner

Why does my application crash on Win10 when I use inline assembly

Hello,

the company I work for bought the Intel compiler so we can build our software which uses inline assembly code also in 64bit. (Visual C++ only supports inline assembly in 32bit).

The machine I build on is a windows 7 workstation. Here the software runs just fine - either with the assembly code parts activated or with slower standard c++ code replacements. It also works on every other windows 7 machine I tested.

But on windows 10 the software only works with slower standard c++ code replacement. It crashes when I try the version with inline assembly code.

Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Best Regards

Amadeus

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Oscar_Creus
Beginner

Hi 

Without any clue of source code it's impossible to guess what's happening.

Sorry.

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Amadeus, please provide more technical details.
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee

Amadeus,

Please also provide what kind of error message you see when it crashes on Windows 10.

Thanks.

rong__amadeus
Beginner

Hello - thanks - here are more details.

To develop and build the software on my workstation I use:

-Windows 7

-Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013

-Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 2 Composer Edition for C++ Windows (Every setting on defaults)

On any Windows 7 machine I tested the software works. To test the compability with newer Windows versions I borrowed notebooks with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Here the software crashes. The windows 8.1 notebook doesn't have Visual Studio. When I get the error on the Windows 10 notebook and hit debug I get "An unhandled win32 exception occured in Softwarename.exe[8144]." On that notebook only Visual Studio Community 2015 is installed and no Intel Parallel Studio. So I can't let it run in Debug mode. In my company IT security does not allow windows versions newer than Windows 7. So I don't know how to debug properly. I was merely wondering if there are some known general issues when building 64bit inline assembly code with the Intel compiler for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Per defines before buildilg I can choose wether the software should use the assembly code parts or not. The software does not crash when I define not to use assembly code. It crashes with the error above when I define to use the assembly code. So the basic structure of the .cpp with the inline assembly code looks like this:

#ifdef _NO_ASSEMBLY

void functionName(){

standard cpp code

}

#else

#ifndef _M_X64

void functionName(){

_asm{32bit inline assembly code}

}

#else

void functionName(){

_asm{64bit inline assembly code}

}

#endif

#endif

Oscar_Creus
Beginner

Hi!

Have you generated the map file to try to see the offending function and offset?

rong__amadeus
Beginner

Thanks for the hint Oscar,

I am going to try to use a map file to find the functin which causes the crash.