Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Win10 boot sometimes hangs with Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Cluster

Ray_M_
Beginner

I have Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Cluster Edition installed on two different Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers.  Both have different Asus motherboards and one has an i7CPU while the other has an i3.  I have installed the entire Parallel Studio XE 2019 Cluster Edition on both and have had the license server installed on both at one time or another, but never on both simultaneously.  Approximately 2 out of every 10 times I restart either system (either from a restart or a cold boot) it hangs after the POST completes but some place before or during the appearance of the lock screen.  At that point resetting or power cycling the computer is the only way out.

To determine if the Intel products were at fault I did completely clean OS installation on my i3 machine then did all the OS updates.  I then did restarts and power ups about 30 times with no hangs. Then I installed Visual Studio 2017 with the latest update and did the restart/power up test again and there were still no hangs.  I then created a system restore point and installed the Intel license manager and Parallel Studio and repeated the restart/power up tests, and the system began to hang about 2 out of every 10 restarts.  I then uninstalled the Intel products and tried the tests again, but the system still hung as before.  Finally I used the restore point to restore my system to its pre-Intel state and repeated the tests, and all hangs were gone.  I then moved to my i7 system and uninstalled the Intel products but the hangs remained.  Because I had not created a pre-Intel restore point on that machine my only choice to get rid of the hangs appears to be to do a clean OS installation.  So it appears that whatever the Intel products are doing is not reversible with a simple uninstall.

Has anyone else experienced these types of hangs?  I don't know how to go about debugging them.

0 Kudos
0 Replies