Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Windows 10 + Visual Studio 2015,2013 + Intel 2016 upd 2 (beta) => slow compilation

Miket
Beginner

Hello,

I just "upgraded" my Windows 8.1 Pro computer to Windows 10 Pro (x64) and immediately noticed a very significant slow-down of compilation (computer: 2x Xeon X5690 3.47GHz, 24 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 580, Intel SSD 540 Series).

It can be seen in both Visual Studio 2013 Pro and Visual Studio 2015 Community IDEs.

I have Beta version of Intel 2016 (update 2) compiler installed.

Before the upgrade in Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) everything worked just fine.

I already completely disable UAC in Windows 10, completely disabled Windows Defender using Group Policy. It made no difference at all. In all cases I see a huge delay right after starting compiling any Intel-enabled project (about 1 - 1.5 minutes before the first file in the project is processed!).

Also is I switch to Microsoft C++ compiler, everything again starts to work quickly enough, so I suspect something is related to Intel integration with VS.

Is it a known issue? Does anybody else see it? Any workaround?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I found that win10 was sensitive to old versions of Intel software tools which hadn't been fully replaced by the usual selection of replacing old version during upgrade.  I had to remove all Intel tools and re-install.  Advisor doesn't work at all in win10 due to creating folders without permissions; other tools seem OK.

The last word I got from Intel was there was no plan yet to support win10.  Maybe this relates to the usual requirement for a server OS to complete full test suites.

I don't know about the effect of disabling UAC; with win10 defaults, when installing Intel tools, many temporary files aren't deleted automatically.  Under File Explorer, they may be deleted with the option checked to give permission on all files.

I've been in doubt whether to swap in win10 except where I wanted it in order to handle Microsoft mail, which win10 handles the same as win8.1.

0 Kudos
Guy_G_
Beginner

Hello Miket, 

I'm also using a PC like yours.

I would like to know which Mother Board are you using? 

I'm a bit afraid to upgrade to win 10 due to lack of some intel chipset drivers. 

i'm using supermicro X8dgt-qf. Dual intel 5520 chipset.

i'm currently using win 7 and able to upgrade right now ^_^ 

Guy 

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Hi Guy,

I use Supermicro X8DAE motherboard. It looks like all drivers are incorporated to Windows 10 (at least I expected it). At least I do not see any problem in Computer Management -> Device Manager.

I believe the mentioned issue is not related to specific hardware. I see a huge delay between compilation request and first processing output in IDE. I do not see any activity in the Task Manager during this time. It looks like something is blocking proper compilation processing.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It would be a serious bug in win10 if it agreed to make the conversion without finding necessary drivers.

I have a wsm box running linux only with Mic which evidently is getting old in the tooth so I'm reluctant to take a chance on Windows.

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Hallo,

Finally I was able to find the reason of this issue. During numerous experiments with installation/uninstallation of Intel Compilers and VS2015 license files were messed up somehow. Therefore Intel icl.exe tried to check a non-existing license at a server first, and it was the reason of startup delays. After deletion of some extra *.lic files compilation become normal.

Hope this information may be helpful to someone else.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Guy_G_
Beginner

Hello again Miket ^_^

You really helped :) 

Do you use the Supermicro superdoctor utillity? does it work on win 10? Can you monitor your voltage and tamp' live?

did you notice in any lack or incompatebility of some drivers? 

I'm working in SolidWorks 2015 and hoping it will support the upgrade :) 

Many Thanks for your help ^_^

Guy

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Hello, Guy,

No, I do not use "superdoctor" utility. To monitor the state of the system (it is not a server, it is purely desktop workstation) I just use Speedfan utility: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It works just fine with Windows 10.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Guy_G_
Beginner

Hi again Miket ^_^ 

Did the Keep all files and software from win 7 to win 10 worked well? 

software like Visual studio or solidworks still work after the upgrade? 

Thanks again :) 

Guy 

0 Kudos
Miket
Beginner

Hi Guy,

I am afraid that these questions are a bit of off-topic here. Yes, in my case the upgrade to Win10 went smoothly enough. It takes some time for new Win10 installation to resort all files, so it is worthwhile to leave the upgraded computer for a while. VMWare drivers required reinstallation, but it is quite obvious procedure. No problems with Visual Studio or other software, all licenses are active after the upgrade.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

VS2015 apparently downgrades itself from RC to RTM without reporting during win10 and win8.1 updates.  In my case this meant I had to copy over some .h files from VS2013 in order to continue using VS2015 with Intel headers (not to mention defragging).  I've seen no word on whether VS2015 will reinstate C89 standard header support which it had in RC or whether Intel may have to incorporate a work-around. I guess keeping up with VS2015 changes may have priority over keeping up with Windows 10 at Intel.

As Miket said, with the exception of such changes in VS, the win10 conversion doesn't require re-installation of Visual Studio. Intel software tools may require removal and re-installation if there are remnants of superseded versions.

0 Kudos
Chris_Szalwinski
New Contributor I

I have a similar problem.  If I enter icl /help at the command line I have to wait about 2 minutes before any output appears.  I assumed that icl is looking for a license.  I had a floating license which expired and now have a node locked license.  I removed the USE SERVER.lic file from the C:/Program Files/Common Files/Intel/Licenses sub-directory, but that did not improve response significantly.  How can I speed up icl /help?  

0 Kudos