Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 Users - Please update to 11.1.046

JenniferJ
The update 2 release of the Intel C++ Compiler Pro edition for Windows is now ready for download at Intel Registration Center. The package ID is 11.1.046.

This update2 contains the fix of the installation hang issue on Windows 7*.Below is the details:

Title: Errata Reference Number DPD200139120

Problem: Applications built with the Intel C++ and Visual Fortran Compilers Professional Edition, version 11.1, or Intel Parallel Composer may hang or encounter a segmentation-fault when run on Microsoft* Windows 7* or Windows Server 2008* R2. Also, a similar issue may occur during installation of these compiler versions on these operating system versions.

Version:

• Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compilers for Windows* 11.1 initial release and update 1 release:
    • Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* 11.1.035
    • Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* 11.1.038
  • Intel Parallel Studio
  • Intel Parallel Composer initial release, and update 1 release

Previous versions of the Intel Compilers (version 11.0 or earlier) do not have this issue. Please refer to the corresponding Release Notes for additional information on minimum system requirements for which operating systems are supported by that product version.

For applications built with the Intel Compilers version 11.1, the problem is contained within the libirc.lib, libircmt.lib on Windows.

Resolution:

For the Intel Compiler Professional Editions 11.1, this issue is resolved in update release 11.1.046 available on Intel Registration Center.

For Intel Parallel Composer, this issue is resolved in the update 2 release, available on Intel Registration Center.

Intel is still validating these configurations and will update the Systems Requirements when validation is complete.

Please find additional information on the install issue here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/the-installation-or-uninstallation-hangs-at-start-up-dialog-during-reading-existing-licenses/ and here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/program-crashes-or-hangs-on-some-systems/

Intel Compilers Support Team

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hcunningham-dd
Beginner
The update 2 release of the Intel C++ Compiler Pro edition for Windows is now ready for download at Intel Registration Center. The package ID is 11.1.046.

This update2 contains the fix of the installation hang issue on Windows 7*.Below is the details:

Title: Errata Reference Number DPD200139120

Problem: Applications built with the Intel C++ and Visual Fortran Compilers Professional Edition, version 11.1, or Intel Parallel Composer may hang or encounter a segmentation-fault when run on Microsoft* Windows 7* or Windows Server 2008* R2. Also, a similar issue may occur during installation of these compiler versions on these operating system versions.

Version:

• Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compilers for Windows* 11.1 initial release and update 1 release:
    • Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* 11.1.035
    • Intel C++ & Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows* 11.1.038
  • Intel Parallel Studio
  • Intel Parallel Composer initial release, and update 1 release

Previous versions of the Intel Compilers (version 11.0 or earlier) do not have this issue. Please refer to the corresponding Release Notes for additional information on minimum system requirements for which operating systems are supported by that product version.

For applications built with the Intel Compilers version 11.1, the problem is contained within the libirc.lib, libircmt.lib on Windows.

Resolution:

For the Intel Compiler Professional Editions 11.1, this issue is resolved in update release 11.1.046 available on Intel Registration Center.

For Intel Parallel Composer, this issue is resolved in the update 2 release, available on Intel Registration Center.

Intel is still validating these configurations and will update the Systems Requirements when validation is complete.

Please find additional information on the install issue here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/the-installation-or-uninstallation-hangs-at-start-up-dialog-during-reading-existing-licenses/ and here http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/program-crashes-or-hangs-on-some-systems/

Intel Compilers Support Team

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others

I upgraded from 11.0.074 to 11.1.046 this AM and now the x64 build of our product DLL hangs the compiler (mcpcom.exe is 100% on one of the cores). The Win32 build is OK.

1>Compiling resources... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.046 [Intel 64]... (Intel C++ Environment)
1>plugin.c
1>Building OST Version [2.0.0.0-000000]
1>Linking... (Intel C++ Environment)

This link step is a single C file linked with multiple earlier built static libraries - the resulting DLL is 1MB. Subsetting this to a failing "hello world" is not going to be trivial. It is 'hung' as I type. I do see temp files, etc. Are any of these useful for troubleshooting this?

Please advise - this is a critical piece of our corporate product.

Regards,

Howard Cunningham
EMC - Data Domain
Morrisville, NC
919-597-7834
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - hcunningham-dd
I upgraded from 11.0.074 to 11.1.046 this AM and now the x64 build of our product DLL hangs the compiler (mcpcom.exe is 100% on one of the cores). The Win32 build is OK.

1>plugin.c
1>Building OST Version [2.0.0.0-000000]

Howard Cunningham

Could you add "/qipo-" to the linker to see if it works around the problem? Also you can add /verbose to see where it hangs.

Do you use .def in this project?

Jennifer
0 Kudos
hcunningham-dd
Beginner

Could you add "/qipo-" to the linker to see if it works around the problem? Also you can add /verbose to see where it hangs.

Do you use .def in this project?

Jennifer

I guess I got something wrong. I added /qipo- and /verbose to the linker command line but it did not recognize it and mcpcom.exe 'hung'.

1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'libstspiDataDomain', configuration 'Release|x64'.
1>plugin.c
1>Building OST Version [2.0.0.0-]
1>xilink: warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/qipo-'

I did spell is /qipo- as slash - lowercaseQ - lowercase I - lowercase P - lowercase O(the letter) - minus.

Thanks for your help. OBTW, I have opened a 'support case' via email on this issue but do not have the case number yet.
0 Kudos
hcunningham-dd
Beginner
Quoting - hcunningham-dd

I guess I got something wrong. I added /qipo- and /verbose to the linker command line but it did not recognize it and mcpcom.exe 'hung'.

1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'libstspiDataDomain', configuration 'Release|x64'.
1>plugin.c
1>Building OST Version [2.0.0.0-]

I did spell is /qipo- as slash - lowercaseQ - lowercase I - lowercase P - lowercase O(the letter) - minus.

Thanks for your help. OBTW, I have opened a 'support case' via email on this issue but do not have the case number yet.

I forgot to say that we do not use a *.def file for this DLL.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - hcunningham-dd

Sorry, my fault. It should be "-qnoipo". Too many options to remember.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
hcunningham-dd
Beginner

Sorry, my fault. It should be "-qnoipo". Too many options to remember.

Jennifer

You are correct about thenumber of options :-). OK - /qnoipo /verbose. This ran to completion producing a DLL of the proper size which is great. I have attached a ZIP of thae log of thatprocess.

So I read a bit about IPO (Interprocedural Optimization, nothing to do with stocks, I find). Clearly a stable build is top priority but there are developers in our team that just love compliler optimizations. Is this disabling IPO a 'permanent fix' for us or is there a planned update to make this safe?

Thanks for your prompt response and help. Please keep me posted.
0 Kudos