Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Windows installation hangs

Timothy_H_
Beginner

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1 and I've installed Microsoft Visual Studio XE 2015.

I'm trying to install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran and C++

The installation ends prematurely with the following message:

Error message: An internal error occurred.

Error code: 1603

file name: w_cprosuite_common_p_15.0.2.179.msi

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
10 Replies
James_T_Intel

This is an error with the installer, I'm going to move it to the correct forum.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The usual expectation is that a new update of parallel studio has to be prepared after the "release to manufacturing" version of a new Visual Studio comes out.  You could look at the release notes; I expect you would see that the latest supported versions of Visual Studio will be 2013 Pro and Community (and higher versions).

 To use the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment or command-line tools to
build IA-32 or Intel® 64 architecture applications, one of:
o Microsoft Visual Studio 2013* Professional Edition (or higher edition) with C++
component installed
o Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2013 with C++ component installed
o Microsoft Visual Studio 201 2* Professional Edition (or higher edition) with C++
component installed
o Microsoft Visual Studio 2010* Professional Edition (or higher edition) with C++
and “X64 Compiler and Tools” components installed

Another typical problem is that if you have already installed a prior version of Amplifier aka VTune (and possibly other Intel Software tools components), you are likely to require removal  before attempting to install a new Parallel Studio.

Newer versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 10) tend to be backward compatible for a clean installation, but newer versions of Visual Studio usually require specific modifications to Intel software releases.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We don't support VS2015 (still in beta) yet. As Tim says, new VS versions always introduce incompatibilities with integration. Please install one of the supported Visual Studio versions (2010, 2012, 2013) and try again. I would have expected a better error message, though.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have escalated the error message to development as issue DPD200367909. I heard separately that you also see this error with VS2013. I will update this thread when I hear any news.

0 Kudos
Timothy_H_
Beginner

Hi,

To confirm, I have Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 installed.

I need to manage expectations here, so I can show progress with the evaluation version and get a purchase made.  How long does something like this typically take to resolve?  I'm dealing with goldfish-level attention spans.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Tim,

The install developers tell me that this problem is triggered by a bug in a Windows update, KB2918614. You can remove this from Windows Update > Review Installed Updates and then Parallel Studio should install. This error has affected other companies' installers, but it isn't easy to determine what particular environment makes the error reveal itself. As best as we can tell, Microsoft acknowledges the problem but hasn't released a fix for it yet.

Please try this solution and let me know if it helps. We can certainly extend your evaluation period if that becomes necessary - just let me know.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I've been testing on win8.1 with adding versions of Visual Studio.  If the Intel tools are re-installed from scratch, there are separate shortcuts for ifort with VS2012 (pro) and 2013 (community).  Originally, I simply ran the modify to add VS2013 integration, and then the choice between visual studio was done with the USE VS2012/USE VS2013 selection (not that it matters much to ifort, other than that VS2012 link will not work with 2013 .obj).  I'm assuming that if one has VS2015 and 2013 installed, if ifort is working it must be properly integrated to 2013.

I've not seen any troubles associated with installing subsequent to Microsoft updates.

(Not affecting ifort directly:) Vectorization reports from MSVC++ don't change between VS2012 and 2013, but there are a few large differences in performance of C++ functions called from ifort (a majority being faster in VS2012).

As the next update of ifort presumably has already undergone testing, one would expect a minimum of another 3 months to see even the simplest new changes incorporated.

0 Kudos
Timothy_H_
Beginner

I uninstalled that Windows Update and IT WORKED!

Thanks!

I still have 28 days on the trial license, so that should let me generate enough data to justify a purchase.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Glad to hear it!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It may be that installing the hotfix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000988?wa=wsignin1.0 will also resolve this issue.

0 Kudos