Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

XCode and icc problem: always recompiles entire project

alienskinsoftware
I'm developing a C++ application on the Mac using the XCode IDE. I recently switched from using gcc to the Intel C++ Compiler. During installation, I followed the icc documentation and set the compilation rules so that C++ files are compiled using icc (version 11.0.064).

My project compiled fine. But I found that each time I built the project, XCode would recompile the entire project instead of compiling only the files I changed. In fact, I found that XCode would recompile the entire project even if I don't make any changes to the code.

It seems like this might be an XCode problem, but it works fine when I use gcc as the compiler. Has anyone encountered this problem? I've used icc with Windows and Linux successfully, but this is the first time I've used it on the Mac. If I've missed any installation/configuration steps, please let me know.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

As an experiment, try disabling IPO (interprocedural optimizations). If that works, then gradualy enable the IPOs

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
alienskinsoftware

As an experiment, try disabling IPO (interprocedural optimizations). If that works, then gradualy enable the IPOs

Jim Dempsey

Under the Optimization group, there is an option that reads "Enable interprocedural optimization for single file compilation" which is already disabled. The other options are all defaults of icc.

I've also disabled distributed building within XCode, but the problem still persists.

I've tried building other similar applications/projects using XCode (version 3.1) and icc. I've also tried this on different Macs. They all exhibit this behavior.

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

Tryturning off "Precompile Prefix Header" in Xcode build setting.
0 Kudos
alienskinsoftware
Quoting - Qale (Intel)

Tryturning off "Precompile Prefix Header" in Xcode build setting.

That seems have fixed my problem. Thanks.

Is that a known issue between XCode and icc? Or is there something in my setup that is causing precompiled headers and icc not to work together?

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

That seems have fixed my problem. Thanks.

Is that a known issue between XCode and icc? Or is there something in my setup that is causing precompiled headers and icc not to work together?

It's a recently known limitation with Xcode and icc integration. The compiler team is awaiting further information from Apple.
0 Kudos
alienskinsoftware
Thanks to Jim and Qale for your replies.
0 Kudos
justin1
Beginner
Thanks to Jim and Qale for your replies.

Hello,

I too have had this problem -- and turning off the 'precompile prefix header' fixed (I actually had it off at the project level, but it was still enabled for some reason on my app target).

Thanks everybody!

-Justin
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
Sorry for the long silence on this, but I think this issue has been fixed for a while. If anyone is still seeing this problem, please let us know.

Thanks!

Dale
0 Kudos