Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

XE2011 Linux C++ Compiler & Ubuntu 11.10

Jim_Segala
Beginner
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and now I get the error:
/usr/include/features.h(323): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "bits/predefs.h"
When I try to compile.

I am up to date on the Intel service packs.
Can anyone help with this?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
I think ,Just find where is file predefs.h and create an dummy link (repertory with ln) aligned path want icc
Regards
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Or, correct the source code to #include , if this apparently more standard version works.
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Ubuntu 11.10 isn't a supported operating system, so I don't have a version of the OS here to try. On my 11.04 system, predefs.h exists in /usr/include/bits. Does this match your system?
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Hi Jim , TimP , Brandon

I have verify /usr/include/bit/predefs.h with version 4.6.1

Open and read the header , me , I see

"Never use directly; include instead"

I think problem is here for version Icc that is probably obsolete in his call in too .
Regards
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I really don't think that a problem related to a'Supported OS' or 'Not Supported OS'.

If a C/C++compiler can't find or open some header file, for example, 'abcd.h' what error messagewould you see? Something like:

Error: Cannot open the file 'abcd.h'...

Right? If the 'predefs.h' exists onJim's computer and a C/C++ compiler can't open it there is a problem with a path, or access rights, or compiler settings.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
I think , you don't understand is that the compiler ICC Linux version is only an
fronted of Gnu compiler. if not correctly aligned with an last original version Gnu
you have probably this type problem with incorrect major dependence.
If i remember exactly ,the team that manage this compiler based on Gnu; are ( Edison Design Group)
Search about, for you understand more subject.

The real interest ICC is alignment with Intel hardware processors
more precise adapted, is not reinvent the alphabet already existing.
Icc work very well if you respect correctly alignment with your version Gnu compiler installed.
It is impossible to serve alignment (specific Intel ) with last version GNU compiler in real time.

Regards
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
To put it another way, if your source code doesn't work with the header files as installed in your gcc and glibc, icc won't change the situation. icc uses the gcc installation to search for those headers and corresponding libraries.
0 Kudos
Michael_Kagalenko

I've had the same problem on xubuntu 3.0.0-13-generic. Gcc compiles normally, however icc produces the aforementioned error - being unable to find header. The solution that worked for me is described at

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648889

One needs to find where is predefs.h:

~% locate predefs.h

/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/predefs.h

And then pass to icc option like this:

icc -I/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/

0 Kudos
Prasanth_Chatharasi
Hi all, I have got same problem on ubuntu 11.10.

But the solution in the following link is working to me. (i,e.. installing libc6-dev-i386)
http://old.nabble.com/Bug-648889%3A--usr-include-features.h%28323%29%3A-catastrophic-error%3A-could-not-open-source-file-%22bits-predefs.h%22-td32850741.html
0 Kudos
Prasanth_Chatharasi
Quoting Jim Segala
I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and now I get the error:
/usr/include/features.h(323): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "bits/predefs.h"
When I try to compile.

I am up to date on the Intel service packs.
Can anyone help with this?

Hi all, I have got same problem on ubuntu 11.10.

But the solution in the following link is working to me. (i,e.. installing libc6-dev-i386)
http://old.nabble.com/Bug-648889%3A--usr-include-features.h%28323%29%3A-catastrophic-error%3A-could-not-open-source-file-%22bits-predefs.h%22-td32850741.html
0 Kudos
Stevan_Medić
Beginner
Hi everybody,
I have tried to install libc6-dev to make my icpc works and after installing, problem is still there.
Should i add some additional paths to my makefile or ?
I m using Linux Mint Lisa.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you have been reading previous posts about setting up the 32-bit compiler, you would need to make adjustments in case you are using a 64-bit linux and intel64 compiler. You are depending on someone to have a powerful crystal ball to guess your goal.
Note that icpc support for g++ 4.7 is expected in the icpc 13.0, in case that g++ version comes with your new linux.
0 Kudos