Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

bug: -fast -msse does not warn

tp5
New Contributor I
$ icc -xHost -msse
icc: command line warning #10120: overriding '-xHost' with '-msse'
icc: command line error: no files specified; for help type "icc -help"
$ icc -fast -msse

Because -fast is short for -xHost and some other options, it should also warn that -msse overrides.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi, 
I agree, to make the diagnostic output consistent with your previous command I will file this with the developers and will keep you updated accordingly, thanks.
_
Kittur

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

As icc hasn't supported an sse option less than sse2 for several years, you would likely need to specify one of the specific sse options supported by icc. 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Tim, I agree with what you say!  

Hi, 
I thought I can file an issue assuming that the compiler can further elaborate the diagnostic to say a default (sse2) was used (which is why you don't see a warning on sse) but I doubt if they will do as the help/manual would specify what's default and the compiler cannot issue diagnostics for that (due to so many that have defaults and is implicitly understood by user).

_Kittur 

0 Kudos
tp5
New Contributor I

I just used -msse as an example. It occurs with any such flag.

$ icc -fast -mavx
icc: command line error: no files specified; for help type "icc -help
$ icc -fast -xAVX
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,
BTW, looking at this now, with the command  "-fast -msse" for example, the compiler can as well make the message output consistent with "-xHost -msse" as -xHost is embedded in -fast as well and let the user know about overriding it to make it consistent.   Or the compiler can just output the message on missing files only and if satisfied can then output other overriding message accordingly. Anyways, I've filed an issue on this with the developers and will update you accordingly, thanks!

_Kittur 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Because -fast is short for -xHost and some other options

Hi, on your comment above, -fast actually contains:  "-ipo, -O3, -no-prec-div, -static, -fp-model fast=2, and -xHost". 
So, if you specify option "-fast -xSSE3", option -xSSE3 takes effect. However, if you specify "-xSSE3 -fast" option -xHost takes effect.

_Kittur

0 Kudos