Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

[bug report] some bug in loop unroll ?

Yu_Chih
Beginner

I do not know how to explain this bug with my poor English.

Here is the section where I think the bug occured.

##########################################
int lv = 0;
int SonPID0 = 183;
int GrandPID0 = 160;

if ( GrandPID0 != -1 )
{
patch->ptr[0][lv+1][SonPID]->son = GrandPID0;

for (int GrandPID=GrandPID0; GrandPID patch->ptr[0][lv+2][GrandPID]->father = SonPID;

}
#########################################

if there is no bug, the code will excute

patch->ptr[0][1][183]->son = 160;

patch->ptr[0][2][160]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][161]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][162]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][163]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][164]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][165]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][166]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][167]->father = 183;

but acutully the following was done

patch->ptr[0][1][183]->son = 160;

patch->ptr[0][2][161]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][162]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][163]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][164]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][165]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][166]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][167]->father = 183;
patch->ptr[0][2][168]->father = 183;

It left"patch->ptr[0][2][160]->father" behind, but write to the wrong place "patch->ptr[0][2][160]->father"

I checked my code several times, until I used the Intel Debugger which printed the value of these variable.

So I think it may have a bug in the loop unrolling.

Is there any way by which I can upload my whole code to be analize?

But the whole program contains about ten thousand lines.

What should I do to report this bug officially?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JenniferJ

I did find a work-around. Building "buffer.cpp" with -O1 works.

I'll file a bug to the compiler team to fix. But for now please use the work-around.

Thanks for reporting!
Jennifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You could submit your problem report at https://premier.intel.com. If you didn't set up a support account, you can do that at https://registrationcenter.intel.com.
0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner
[cpp]
[/cpp]
[cpp]aa
I took a lot of effort to minimize the code, and now there are only tens of line in this code. The result should be 1 1 0 0 but Intel C Compiler (11.1.069) give 0 0 1 0 with the commannd line icpc Main.cpp Refine_Buffer.cpp && ./a.out OS : CentOS 5.4 with kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 ############################# GAMER.h ################################### #include using namespace std; struct patch_t { int corner[3]; int father; }; struct AMR_t { patch_t *ptr[2][4]; }; ########################## End of GAMER.h ################################# ############################# Main.cpp ################################### #include "GAMER.h" AMR_t *patch; int abc[3]; void Refine_Buffer(const int lv); int main() { patch = (AMR_t*) calloc( 1, sizeof(AMR_t) ); for( int i = 0; i < 2; i++ ) for( int j = 0; j < 4; j++ ) patch->ptr = (patch_t*) calloc( 1, sizeof(patch_t) ); for( int i = 0; i < 3; i++ ) abc = i; patch->ptr[0][1]->father = 1; Refine_Buffer(0); for( int i = 0; i < 4; i++ ) cout << patch->ptr[1]->father << endl; return 0; } ########################## End of Main.cpp ################################## ######################## Refine_Buffer.cpp ################################## #include "GAMER.h" extern AMR_t *patch; extern int abc[3]; void Refine_Buffer( const int lv ) { for (int s=0; s<2; s++) { for (int SonPID=abc; SonPIDptr[lv][SonPID]->father == 1 ) { for (int GrandPID=0; GrandPID<2; GrandPID++) patch->ptr[1][GrandPID]->father = SonPID; } } } } ##################### End of Refine_Buffer.cpp ##############################[/cpp]
0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner
I use theNon-Commercial C Compiler for linux, so I can't register the premier support.

May somebody help me to report this bug to engineers of intel, or test the bug to see if itis really from the Compiler ?

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You're entitled to submit a bug report in the same way as with a paid license.
0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner
I have tried, but it responses

"You are attempting to access Intel Premier Support but you do not have a user account."

Is there anythingI missed so that I didn't register the account?

Thank you for your reply.
0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner
I have tried it again, but I can't still access the Intel Premier Support.

I have only this account to visit the forum and knowledge base.

Can Non-Commercial Key get the premier support ?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, if you didn't already register your non-commercial key, you can use it at registrationcenter to create a support account.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
I'll file a bug repor when I duplicate this issue here.

Yes, you can create a Premier Support account when you sign-up for eval or NCOM. There is a check-box for creating a Premier Support account.

Thanks for cutting down the testcase. It's usually very time consuming.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

could you let me know your compile options?

On Linux, ic 11.1.069, even I turned off unroll, it still gives me wrong result except using -O0.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

I did find a work-around. Building "buffer.cpp" with -O1 works.

I'll file a bug to the compiler team to fix. But for now please use the work-around.

Thanks for reporting!
Jennifer

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If -O1 works, perhaps /fp:source will work at -O2. The default options intentionally break some code. As far as I know, the reason for that is mostly historical. However, the idea of providing a set of options which allows full vectorization without breaking correct code was rejected in favor of the /fp:source recommendation.
0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner

Inthe original case, turn off the optimization option will fix the bug, and the idb gives the value of variables intended to be changed with an offset so I thought it's unroll bug at that time.

After cutting the code down, some properties changed, so the -unroll0 optionmakes no difference.

In the original case, there are a lot of trick to suppress the bugfor examplecout the loop counter or the value of variable which is changed in the loop.

I am deeply grateful that you have paid attention to this bug.

best regards,

Yu-Chih

0 Kudos
Yu_Chih
Beginner
I have no idea that how could floating point model affect a loop which deal with integer value assigning?

But I will try the suggestion and try to understand it.

Thanks for the new knowledge providing.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Well, you're right, fp-model should have an effect only when there is floating point code in or neighboring the loop in question.
0 Kudos
kfsone
New Contributor I
What result do you get if you try the following:

int lv = 0;
int SonPID0 = 183;
int GrandPID0 = 160;

if ( GrandPID0 != -1 )
{

for (int GrandPID=GrandPID0; GrandPID++GrandPID)
patch->ptr[0][lv+2][GrandPID]->father = SonPID;

}

Also, you might want to consider helping the compiler with some aliasing and some additional value markup, something like:

const int lv = 0;
static const unsigned intSonPID0 = 183;
static const unsigned int GrandPID0 = 160;

if ( GrandPID0 != -1 )
{

for (unsigned int GrandPID=GrandPID0; GrandPID

patch->ptr[0][lv+2][GrandPID]->father = SonPID;

}

Little hints like these can often be a huge help to getting the results you expect :)
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Our report shows this issue in the original posting has been fixed in the latest 11.1 update 8 and 12.0 compiler update2.

Regards,
Jennifer

0 Kudos