Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

c++ compiler error on Mac OS X 10.9

Hongxuan_Z_
Beginner

When I compile the following hello world code using icpc on Mac OS X 10.9

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Hello World!"<<endl;
  return 0;
}

I get the following error message:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.1/include/stddef.h(29): error: expression preceding parentheses of apparent call must have (pointer-to-) function type

#if !defined(_PTRDIFF_T) || __has_feature(modules)

^

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.1/include/stddef.h(31): error: function call is not allowed in a constant expression

#if !__has_feature(modules)

^

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.1/include/stddef.h(37): error: function call is not allowed in a constant expression

#if !defined(_SIZE_T) || __has_feature(modules)

^

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.1/include/stddef.h(48): error: expression preceding parentheses of apparent call must have (pointer-to-) function type

!defined(_RSIZE_T)) || __has_feature(modules)

^

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.1/include/stddef.h(50): error: function call is not allowed in a constant expression

#if !__has_feature(modules)

^

The version I used is Intel Composer XE 13.0.3 20130606.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andrey_B_Intel2
Employee

Hi Hongxuan,

Apple constantly develops OS X libraries, sometimes introducing changes that make them incompatible with older compilers (both icc and clang). We update icc to make it compatible with new OS X / XCode releases, but we do so for currently supported versions only -- which is 14.0 at the moment.

If you want to continue to use icc 13.0, you have to use older OS X / XCode. If you want to switch to OS X 10.9 / XCode 5.1, you have to upgrade to icc 14.0 (or 15.0, which is currently in beta). Sorry if this is a disappointing answer...

Andrey

0 Kudos
Andrey_B_Intel2
Employee

To clarify, by "supported" I mean "supported on the latest OS X / XCode releases". For OS X 10.9 / XCode 5.x this is 14.0 only. We continue to support 13.0 on older OSes / XCodes.

Andrey

0 Kudos
Hongxuan_Z_
Beginner

Thanks. Where I can find the 14.0 version. The latest version I can see now is 2013_sp1.2.139. 

Andrey Bokhanko (Intel) wrote:

Hi Hongxuan,

Apple constantly develops OS X libraries, sometimes introducing changes that make them incompatible with older compilers (both icc and clang). We update icc to make it compatible with new OS X / XCode releases, but we do so for currently supported versions only -- which is 14.0 at the moment.

If you want to continue to use icc 13.0, you have to use older OS X / XCode. If you want to switch to OS X 10.9 / XCode 5.1, you have to upgrade to icc 14.0 (or 15.0, which is currently in beta). Sorry if this is a disappointing answer...

Andrey

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

That is the right version. You may download it from Intel Registration and Download Center link https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Register.aspx.

Thanks,

Om

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

The latest Intel compiler 15.0 supports Xcode 5.0 and  5.1. The release version of compiler is  available for download from Intel Registration and download center.

Thanks,

Om

0 Kudos