Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw
Beginner

command line batch conversion for vs2008 projects

I'm using the Intel C++ compiler version 11.1.054. I'm using VS2008 SP1 on XP64. I'm aware how to specify the Intel compiler in the VS2008 IDE (Projects => Intel C++ Compiler Pro => Use Intel C++) - How do I instruct VS2008 to use the Intel compiler from command line?

I've tried:

devenv.exe test.sln /rebuild "Release|Win32" /project "test" /IntelSpecific Intel "Intel C++ 11.1.xxx"

and:

devenv.exe /rebuild "Release|Win32" /test.sln /IntelSpecific Intel

Neither worked. I've looked in the documentation but didn't find a soltution. I have a large application that uses many 3rdparty libraries, etc. - Probably have around 500 individual projects. I really don't want to have to open each one and specify the Intel compiler. I'm using python scripts to compile everything via command line using devenv.exe; would be very helpful if there was a comand line switch I could use to indicate which compiler to use.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee

If you have specifiedin MS Visual Studio projecting setting to use Intel compiler then you can use Intel C++ compiler using devenv.exe from command line.

sw
Beginner

That's my question actually. Is there any way from the command line to instruct Visual Studio to use the Intel Compiler? As I said previously, I have literally hundreds of projects. Many are generated by CMake. It's not feasible to use the UI for each and every project.

Is there a way to automate this from the command line?

Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee

You can only use the Intel C++ compiler in an Intel C++ project. An MSVC C++ project will always use the MSVC C++ compiler. I know of no way, whether from the command line or from the VS GUI or any other interface to use another compiler; the choice of compiler is inherent in the type of project.

What one can do from the GUI is convert an MSVC C++ project into an Intel C++ project. (And that creates a new Intel C++ project file.) I don't know of a way to do that from the command line though. It might be possible to do this via Visual Studio's automation mechanism/interface, but I don't know how.

JenniferJ

Yes, there's a way to change your project or solution to use Intel C++ compiler from command line.

See this article - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/ICProjConvert100/

Also there's more detail info in the documentation under -> Intel C++ Compiler -> Building Applications -> Building Applications from Command line

Jennifer