Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

compiler vars on PATH

Cummins__Daniel
Beginner

Hi All,

So I've installed Parallel Studio XE on my Ubuntu machine, and following the 'Get Started with...' file in the documentation, I've initialised the tools using 'source psxevars.sh', so all well and good so far.

This is only temporary, however, since if I actually want to use any of these compilers I have to 'initialise the tools' each time I start a new terminal.

Typing 'which gcc' returns /usr/bin/gcc (which is on the PATH), while 'which icc' returns a location inside /opt/intel/...

Is the simple solution here just to add the results of 'source psxevars.sh' to the PATH permanently?

Many thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Generally you should not want to do this. Reason, Intel, as well as other software companies, produce updates. When this happens, it is recommended that you do not "burn your bridges" so to say and throw out the prior release. IOW you would be advised to build with older version as well as newer version such that you can perform integrity tests, as well as performance tests between both versions. At some point later, if you desire, you can delete/uninstall the older version(s).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Cummins__Daniel
Beginner

Hi Jim,

Thanks for getting back to me. So if it's not recommended to keep them on the path, I assume I have to perform the initialisation step every time I start a new terminal... unless I just use an IDE?

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You can create a shortly worded shell script that sources into a new window. This will keep your typing down.

bash ./foo.sh+

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Cummins__Daniel
Beginner

Now that right there is a good idea. Thanks again!

Dan

0 Kudos