Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

compiler version 19.0.3 crashing when building mpi libraries on macOS 10.14.4

Kerry_K_
Novice

I just upgraded to macOS 10.14.4 and installed the latest Intel C and Fortran compilers (19.0.3) and now I can no longer compile mpich nor openmpi.  Here are the errors I'm getting:

openmpi (4.0.1):

CC       dfs_test.lo

": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem.

** Segmentation violation signal raised. **

Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

mpich (3.3):

GEN      lib/libpmpi.la

ld: illegal thread local variable reference to regular symbol __tls___MPIR_Per_thread for architecture x86_64

make[2]: *** [lib/libpmpi.la] Error 1

Both of these complied fine with the 2018 intel compiler and macOS 10.13.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

I don't think 19.0 Update 3 supports MacOS 10.4.4. Please use the previous MacOS version.

0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

Okay thanks. do you mean roll bak to 10.14.3 or back to 10.13?  

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

You can roll back to 10.14.3.

0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

I installed 10.14.3 and Xcode 10.1 and after the overnight restore from Time Machine backup, I did a fresh install of Intel 19.0.3 and am still having the same issues mentioned above. Guess its time to abandon my hopes at being in the present on 10.14 Mojave until this is fixed.  

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Can you please provide us a pre-processed file along with your command line options to investigate?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

Hi Viet,

I no longer have the offending file since I've downgraded to 10.14.3 and Xcode 10.1.  The file is part of the openmpi library and you can test your self by downloading and compiling the library.  https://www.open-mpi.org//software/ompi/v4.0/. 

I've installed this numerous times on my macOS machines for the last few years using this sequence ( (warning, it takes >30 minutes or so to configure and compile):

rm -fR /opt/openmpi  # remove old install first
./configure --prefix=/opt/openmpi CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort 
sudo make all install

Usually that works flawlessly. But with macOS 10.14.4 and Xcode 10.2, I got the error in my post above. So then I downgraded to 10.14.3 and Xcode 10.1 and openmpi compiled okay. However, then I would get these errors when running a code:

" __dyld section not supported"

and some other errors I can't recall exactly. After some looking around,  I found that adding " --disable-dlopen" to the configure line above makes openmpi codes run successfully. 

Cheers,
Kerry

0 Kudos
Kerry_K_
Novice

Hi, checking back in to see if this issue has been resolved so that I can upgrade macOS and my intel compiler suite? thanks, Kerry

0 Kudos