Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)

Faruk_Kujundzic
Beginner

Hi,

There seems to be an issue with multi-file optimisation (-ipo), resulting in the error:

error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)

...during the linking of the two files in the attachment, with:

icpc -Wl,--whole-archive libutil.a libgnu.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -o liboctave.so.2.0.0

However when linking with multi-file optimisation disabled using -no-ipo flag:

icpc -Wl,--whole-archive libutil.a libgnu.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive -no-ipo -o liboctave.so.2.0.0

...the issue does not occur (the linking fails nonetheless, irrelevantly, due to missing libraries - this can be ignored).

How would one go about troubleshooting or debugging this optimisation issue? I would like to know what is going wrong here and why exactly does the optimisation fail. Is this caused by something in the .a files or is it a compiler/linker bug?

I'm currently using the following version: icpc (ICC) 14.0.2 20140120

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Faruk

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Faruk

Is it possible for you to share your source code with me?  I would be easier to diagnose the error with it.  I'm sending you a private message, with my email included, in case you'd like to email me the source code.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Faruk_Kujundzic
Beginner

Oh sorry, I thought I'd mentioned which software the .a files come from but I obviously forgot. They are generated during compilation of GNU Octave 3.8.2, specifically liboctave/util and libgnu/ components. I currently have no access to the sources (and it would be quite a bit to send if I did) - do you really need those or does it suffice if you know which software it is?

0 Kudos