Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

expression must have arithmetic, enum, or pointer type

Alex_K_6
Beginner

Well another bug has come up, this time with the Error function in ErrorList.h:

https://bug845905.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=719078

This seems to be a compiler bug as it's never happened before.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You haven't made it easy to find the point where this happens (e.g. by showing pre-processed code with the point of error).  A possiblity is that compilers you used in the past didn't check for correct function typing (particularly in contexts where it wasn't required prior to the adoption of a standard).

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

This is a pretty generic diagnostic and the header file you attached is not a standalone header so we can't tell what the problem is. We need to be able to reproduce the error to help you further. This means attaching all the source and headers or creating a preprocessed header (using the -P or -E options) as Tim suggests.

thanks

Judy

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Alex, I have looked and stopped my investigation after I found these errors in the report: ... error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat Error processing command. Ignoring because optional. (optional:setup.py:python/psutil:build_ext:--inplace) ... icl: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/-version' icl: command line error: no files specified; for help type "icl /help" ... dummy.c(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pthread.h': No such file or directory ... Also, regarding a "Possible Bug". I don't see a prove that this is the Bug with Intel C++ compiler: ... c:\Development\Source\objdir\dist\include\ErrorList.h(10): error: expression must have arithmetic, enum, or pointer type ERROR(NS_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED, NS_ERROR_BASE + 1), ... I see that there is a dependency on some macro ERROR(...) and it is Not clear what is it, where is it declared, etc. I'm really sorry to tell you but you need respect our time. There are 14,633 code lines in the report you've provided and many errors are not related to the error '...expression must have arithmetic, enum, or pointer type...'.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

A report of missing vcvarsall.bat might indicate you don't have visible the required Microsoft C++ installation matching your Intel compiler.  This would account for missing headers and libraries.

While there exist pthreads ports for Windows, they aren't part of a standard Windows build environment, so it's not surprising your build would report no such installation.  If it doesn't provide an alternative build path for an environment which lacks pthreads, you would need to take care of that.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...While there exist pthreads ports for Windows, they aren't part of a standard Windows build environment... That is true and a quick verification shows that STL ( versions 4.5.x and newer ) and TBB have pthread.h header file. Many of these errors in the report are Not related to Intel C++ compiler because some configuration issues with makefiles of the project could be introduced ( possibly ) after some update(s) or patch(es).
0 Kudos
bob_j_
Beginner

alex the waterfox master

did you fix -QaxAVX if avx used waterfox would not work on most pc did you fix it

0 Kudos