Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

gdb-ia ImportError No module named site

Jon_D_1
Beginner

I am porting legacy c applications from tru64 to LINUX.   I need to debug some of these codes and am stumbling along trying to understand the debuggers I can use.  I was told INTEL no longer uses idb, but gdb-ia.  I assume that's a gnu debugger used on an INTEL platform.

I have created a simple c application called Helloworld.   I want to debug the application.   When attempting to debug the simple application, the following occurs:

$>gdb-ia helloworld
$>ImportError: No module named site

or

$>gdb-ia /home/hdjm/project/hello/helloworld
$>ImportError: No module named site

I downloaded a gdb.pdf and searched for the error and got no hits.  Can anyone help with this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jon_D_1
Beginner

I'm not having any luck posting on this platform!

0 Kudos
Michel_M_
Beginner

Same problem here.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

I've never heard of gdb-ia. Does gdb work as expected? Since the Intel compiler and GNU compiler are object layout compatible I don't think there's a need for a special debugger.

Judy

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
gdb-ia is provided mainly for improved f90 support. I'm not convinced that excuses problems with c++.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_P_1234567890

Hello,

Do you have proper installation of python on that machine? if not then regular gdb might also fail.

it looks that gdb-ia is trying to load some python pretty printers, for example, <path_to_gcc>/lib64/libstdc++.so.6.0.18-gdb.py, but python fails.

More details: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/developer_guide/debuggingprettyprinters

--Vladimir

0 Kudos