Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

how to make ICC command line variables permanent

bradc
Beginner
I installed Intel C++ compiler on Mint Linux and it says that I have to source a command line variables file in order to use the compiler on the command line. I want to make ICC compiler variables permanently availabe so I can use it with IDEs. Can someone tell me how I do this?

this is what I have to run to source that file:
source /opt/intel/composer_xe_2011_sp1.10.319/bin/compilervars.sh ia32
a partial solution is to put the above source command in my .profile file, that works for shell terminal, but the IDE's I use still cant access the ICC commands
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee
You can launch your IDE from a shell where you've already established the compiler environment variables via compilervars.sh
You can read more about this topic in the Compiler documentation, for example read the section titled "Building Applications withEclipse"
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Brad,

I think I see what you're getting at, but the answer likely depends on what GUI environment you're using, like KDE or GNOME or something else. The scripts on Linux aren't that hard to interpret on what variables are being set, so once you determine how you need to set them, consult the documentation for your GUI on how to set global environment variables in the GUI and I would think that should be enough to get you going.
0 Kudos