Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

icc 13 + Xcode 4.6.2 Invalid object files, bug?

theigors
Beginner

Hi All

I'm using ICC for OSX (m_ccompxe_2013.3.171.dmg) with Xcode 4.6.2 and I've a problem:

- if "Generate Debug Info" = on, then all is Ok. However, if off, then link fails. Looking undersolved symbols I've noticed that corresponded object file (.o) is invalid and always has length 152 bytes. Changing source I force recompiling and .o file becomes Ok, but the issue repeats at next rebuild. What am I doing wrong? Or it's a bug?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Could you post a linker output, please?
0 Kudos
theigors
Beginner

Hi, Sergey, thx for your input

The link output is in attached zip. There is also invalid (.o (bad)) file (size 152) that produces unresolvеd(s). When I check the source, then a normal file is compiled (.o (good)), and other link errors produced (with next invalid .o), When I clean prj and rebuild from scratch - all happens again, and other .o files are invalid. The problem disappear if I set "Generate Debug Information" = on

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi, >>...Looking undersolved symbols I've noticed that corresponded object file (.o) is invalid and always has length 152 bytes. >>Changing source I force recompiling and .o file becomes Ok, but the issue repeats at next rebuild. What am I doing >>wrong? Or it's a bug? I see that there are only linker errors, like: ... Undefined symbols for architecture i386... ... It is clear that a library, for some Camera API, is "missing" for i386 architecture during your 1st attempt to build an executable. I admit that something is wrong and please review project linker settings for that configuration. >>...The problem disappear if I set "Generate Debug Information" = on... That looks like some internal problem with a linker.
0 Kudos
theigors
Beginner

>> That looks like some internal problem with a linker.

IMO linker must fail if it receives corrupted .o files (junk in - junk out)

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>> That looks like some internal problem with a linker. >> >>IMO linker must fail if it receives corrupted .o files (junk in - junk out) Try to do a test: - Create a simple C/C++ project that uses one library ( any ) - Write a simple code that calls at least one function from the library - Corrupt the library ( in editor, for example ) - Try to build an executable - Post an error message from a linker for review Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
theigors
Beginner

>> Try to do a test:

What is such test for? To prove that link fails with corrupted lib? I agreed 100% even without any test :-) Here I know why produced lib is incorrect - because some sources aren't compiled properly. Sorry if I've not explained this well.

0 Kudos