Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icc compile errors

newport_j
Beginner

Ihave a program thatI am tryng to compile with icc. I am adding cilk_for and redfining loop indexes to avoid some parallel errors.

Now theses errors arise:

expressionmust be modifiable lvalue

inner_Rint = (*Env).network.NtargetR;

i=i=1;

i=i=1;

How do I get hese to go away in icc comilation?

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Please post an actual compilable example. Howare i and inner_Rint declared? Are they const?

Judy
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Newport_j,

I don't think that's legal. According to our User's Guide, cilk_for loops have the following restriction:

The loop control variable must not be modified in the loop body. The following form is not supported:

cilk_for (unsigned int i = 1; i < 16; ++i) i = f();

0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner

Is there a work around for this? Or does that mean that there is no solution and do not cilkify that part of the code?

Thaks in advance.

Newport_j

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If your parallel loop is to end conditionally before the count is up, instead of trying to exit, you skip over the body each time until the count is up:
_Cilk_for(i=0,done=0;i if(!done){
}
0 Kudos
newport_j
Beginner

Please explain this last reply. I am interested in what you are saying .

If your parallel loop is to end conditionally before the count is up, instead of trying to exit, you skip over the body each time until the count is up:
_Cilk_for(i=0,done=0;i if(!done){
}

I want to know more about this.

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As you still haven't given an example where we could show you the appropriate change, a fairly common idiom for combining 2 loops of different length is like:
count=max(lenA, lenB)
cilk_for(int i = 0; i < count; ++i){
if(i < lenA){
do A stuff
}
if i < lenB){
do B stuff
}
}
In such a case, there wouldn't be a prohibition against resetting lenA or lenB inside the loop; the loop would continue up to the original expected number of iterations, but would do nothing while running up the count when that is what you requested. Common obvious optimizations exist, for example if you assert lenA >= lenB you eliminate the inside condition on len and outside condition on lenB. You might expect the do-nothing iterations to take less time than thie others, but you might sitll have valuable paralllelization, particularly if the number of empty scopes is relatively small.
0 Kudos