Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icc/icpc 14 with gcc 4.8.1 seeing gcc 4.7 headers - compile error: __allocator_base is not a template

Michael_B_20
Beginner

I know this was asked before without a practicable solution, so sorry to be anoying by asking again:

On LinuxMint 15 (=Ubuntu raring) 64-bit with both gcc 4.7 and 4.8.1 istalled (gcc 4.8.1 made the default compiler), compiling a simple "hello world" test proggy crashes with:

In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.8/string(41),
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/bits/locale_classes.h(40),
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/bits/ios_base.h(41),
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/ios(42),
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/ostream(38),
                 from /usr/include/c++/4.8/iostream(39),
                 from test.cpp(1):
/usr/include/c++/4.8/bits/allocator.h(92): error: __allocator_base is not a template
      class allocator: public __allocator_base<_Tp>

gcc just compiles it like a charm, icc/icpc don't.

gcc -v
Es werden eingebaute Spezifikationen verwendet.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/lto-wrapper
Ziel: x86_64-linux-gnu
Konfiguriert mit: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.8.1-2ubuntu1~13.04' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.8 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.8 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64/jre --enable-java-home --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread-Modell: posix
gcc-Version 4.8.1 (Ubuntu 4.8.1-2ubuntu1~13.04)

g++ -v
COLLECT_GCC=g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/lto-wrapper
Konfiguriert mit: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.8.1-2ubuntu1~13.04' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.8 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.8 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64/jre --enable-java-home --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64 --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu

icc -v
icc version 14.0.1 (gcc version 4.8.0 compatibility)
icpc -v
icpc version 14.0.1 (gcc version 4.8.0 compatibility)
(diagnostic files for icc/icpc attached to this post)

As tracking it down from another thread, I guess that icc/icpc includes wrong limits.h (from gcc 4.7). None of the mentioned workarounds do the job. Is there a solution without completely uninstalling gcc 4.7 (which would cause my system to deinstall essential build tools, too)?

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the report. DPD200249811 is tracking the issue. It occurs when you're using gcc 4.8, and both gcc 4.8 and 4.7 are installed on the system.  A workaround isn't available yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MalReddy_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Check the gcc/g++ system include search paths using the below command,

#cpp -x c -v

#cpp -x c++ -v

If wrong system headers path (gcc 4.7 related) is listed, then try to override the system include PATH

using the “-I <gcc 4.8 system header path>” option in the command line.

If gcc/g++ ignores “-I” option then try with “-isystem< gcc 4.8 system header path > “ option.

Still didn’t work, Let us know the output of below command.

# icpc -isystem< gcc 4.8 system header path >  -c helloworld.c –v

Reddy

0 Kudos
Michael_B_20
Beginner

I stepped on tracking it down by using cpp -x c -v, which showed 2 include-dirs missing ("nicht vorhandenes Verzeichnis"):
COLLECT_GCC=cpp
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-E' '-v' '-mtune=generic' '-march=x86-64'
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/cc1 -E -quiet -v -imultilib . -imultiarch x86_64-linux-gnu - -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -fstack-protector
nicht vorhandenes Verzeichnis »/usr/local/include/x86_64-linux-gnu« wird ignoriert
nicht vorhandenes Verzeichnis »/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/../../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/include« wird ignoriert
#include "..." - Suche beginnt hier:
#include <...> - Suche beginnt hier:
 /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.1.106/mkl/include
 /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.1.106/tbb/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/include
 /usr/local/include
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/include-fixed
 /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 /usr/include
Ende der Suchliste.

Nevertheless, it's still not doing what it is expected to do. It seems that the include files for gcc 4.8 reside in /usr/include/c++/4.8 - this is the output you requested:
icpc -isystem< /usr/include/c++/4.8 > -c test.cpp -v
icpc version 14.0.1 (gcc version 4.8.0 compatibility)

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the report. DPD200249811 is tracking the issue. It occurs when you're using gcc 4.8, and both gcc 4.8 and 4.7 are installed on the system.  A workaround isn't available yet.

0 Kudos
Michael_B_20
Beginner

Hi Mel, thanks for the clear statement. Hope this can be solved in the future.

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

For the hello world test case, using this workaround cleared up the problem, when compiling with gcc 4.8.0 compatibility mode (not when using gcc 4.7 compatibility mode):

icpc hello.cpp -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/4.8/

(There's a include search path issue, using this -I option allows the correct bits/c++config.h to be found)

0 Kudos
Jason_M_3
Beginner

Using the -I option does fix the hello world test case for me as well but still has problems for more complicated cases. For example, I have a simple program that uses the Boost libraries which compiles fine using g++ 4.8 (even with the additional include flag), however, if I switch to icc there are several errors.

Any word on the progress of this issue?

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

It looks like DPD200249811 is on track to be fixed in the next update.

0 Kudos
tp5
New Contributor I

This problem also occurs when GCC 4.7 is not installled.

The workaround is simple.

$ sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7 g++-4.7

$ icc -gcc-name=gcc-4.7
$ icpc -gxx-name=g++-4.7

0 Kudos
tp5
New Contributor I

I can confirm this is fixed in 14.0.2 20140120.

0 Kudos
Shahzad_Malik_MUZAFF

Is 14.0.2 already available?

0 Kudos
Arnstein_R_
Beginner

Yes. Release notes for 14.0.2 (2013 SP1 Update 2) can be found here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-2013-sp1-release-notes

0 Kudos