Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

icc installation / license question

Zhen_Fang__Intel_
Icc is extremely slow for me. E.g., even the "icc --version" command takes 10 minutes to finish.
strace reveals that my self-intsalled icc gets stuck in trying to contact isl-mp1.jf.intel.com, which I think is a license server. So my theory is that this caused the problem.
During icc installation, I did specify the location of the .lic file.
Q1. Is there a way to tell icc not to contact the license server without re-installing icc?
Q2. If I want to re-install icc, how to uninstall it first?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee
The installation of icc seems improper. You may unsinstall using uninstall.sh. In my m/c this is available as given below:

/opt/intel/composer_xe_2011_sp1.7.235/bin/uninstall.sh

Om
0 Kudos
Zhen_Fang__Intel_

I uninstalled it. Then I installed icc again. I supplied the license serieal number XXXX-XXXXXXXX in the interactive installation process.

Still, when I do
/nfs/pdx/disks//composer_xe_2011_sp1.7.256/bin/intel64/icc --version
it takes forever to finish. It tries repeatedly to contactisl-mp1.jf.intel.com (the name server).
Any more ideas?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If your installation didn't complete correctly, due to delay in contacting Intel license server, you should be able to take the alternate install path of supplying the license file which was emailed to you. If you need a fresh copy, you can have it sent again at https://registrationcenter.intel.com. Once install is complete, there should be no need to contact Intel server again.
0 Kudos
Zhen_Fang__Intel_
Thanks for the reply. My current status is

* I had tried both methods to supply the license. That is, by pointing the installer to the license file, and by supplying the license number XXXX-XXXXXXXX interactively.
* For both methods, installation seemed to be complete and successful. At least it did not give me any warning.

* For both methods, I have been seeing the same problem. That is, icc repeatedly tries to contact10.23.61.97 (isl-mp1.jf.intel.com)

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
There is something wrong in your environment and installation is not getting completed.
0 Kudos
Zhen_Fang__Intel_
With help from Om, Mark and Kittur, this issue has been solved.

It turns out that I needed to set environment variableINTEL_LICENSE_FILE (orLM_LICENSE_FILE) so that it points to my license file. I needed to do so regardless of the fact that I already gave the license file's full path to the installer.
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Just to clarify: Apparently iccvars.sh file should have been sourced first by Zhen which would have set the INTEL_LICENSE_FILE variable properly so the correct license file is found. Went through the scenario with Zhen who is clear now on the install procedure.
0 Kudos