Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icc is not performing loop invariant code motion

Chandan_G
Beginner

Can someone explain the reason why icc is not doing loop invariant code motion (of moving pointer assignment of a) in code 1 below. I see a 40% improvement in performance when the a pointer assignment is moved out of the t6 loop as done in code 2. I tried to mark the pointer 'a' as a const and restrict, to let the compiler know that the pointer 'a' will not be changed inside t6 loop. I am compiling code with '-ansi-alias' , '-03' and '-ipo' option in icc.

[cpp]

//code 1

for(t4=256*t1; t4<=256*t1+254; t4++){

int lbv=256*t2; int ubv=256*t2+255;

for(t6=lbv; t6<=ubv; t6++){

double*restrictconst a= a_trans[lbv/256];//loop invariant code

a[t6-lbv]=a[t6-lbv]/a[t6-lbv];

}

}

//code 2

for(t4=256*t1; t4<=256*t1+254; t4++){

int lbv=256*t2; int ubv=256*t2+255;

double*restrict const a= a_trans[lbv/256];

for(t6=lbv; t6<=ubv; t6++){

a[t6-lbv]=a[t6-lbv]/a[t6-lbv];

}}

[/cpp]

This code is generated by a source to source translator. It is very tedious to manually apply this transformation for lots of loops.  I have marked  'a_trans' as const/restrict with in the function. 

Is there any other keyword that I can use to let icc know that 'a_trans' will not be changed with loop?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
QIAOMIN_Q_
New Contributor I

As i can remembe ,you can try "__attribute__(vector(uniform(a_trans[lbv/256])))" before the loop when vectorizing. Generally ,under -O3 + vec  the invariant optimization is enabled .Could you provide your suspected sub-optimal code here? it would encourage more people help you then.

0 Kudos