Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icc not creating a.out file

Nibbe__Evan
Beginner

Yesterday when I ran the following line in terminal: icc -mkl -c -xAVX optimizedV4.c

I was able to get back: optimizedV4.o 

and: a.out

Today when I edited the c code, simply changing a loop variable, I only got the object file. No errors were thrown, except when typing ./a.out that there is no such file or directory.

Update:

This happened after I tried calling the compiler through a python script:

from subprocess import call

call(["icc", "-mkl", "-c", "-xAVX", "optimizedV4.c"])

I since uninstalled parallel studio and reinstalled it, I even copied the code into a file in /opt/intel/ and tried to compile it there, but I still did not get an a.out file from doing so. (No errors were given either, and the .o file was still created just fine.)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nibbe__Evan
Beginner

Note: this happened after I ran a python program with:

from subprocess import call

call(["icc", "-mkl", "-c", "-xAVX", "optimizedV4.c"])

0 Kudos
Nibbe__Evan
Beginner

Note (2): I uninstalled parallel studio and reinstalled it, then ran that command without the -mkl, and I tried running the command inside the /opt/intel directory itself calling the same code from my personal directory and using sudo to make sure all permissions were satisfied.

I still got the same effect of no error messages being thrown, but only optimizedV4.o was created, not a.out!

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

-c is to compile to object (.o) only.

0 Kudos