Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steffen_Gross
Beginner

icl error with msbuild

After installing IntelV16 Update1 and VS2015 Update 1 , my buildprocess is broken when msbuild(14.0.24720) is used .

icl complains "icl: : error : option '/Qopt-matmul' not supported", if "Enable Matrix Multiply Library Call" is set to any other value than "Default".

Building from inside VS or with devenv is not affected.

I have attached a simple testcase for reproducing.

Bug or Feature ?

(background the real application has 287 projectfiles , and I don't want change every project by hand, as workaround I build now with devenv)

Kind Regards

Steffen

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Black Belt

As /Qopt-matmul pertains only to Fortran, it seems a bug if any setting in a C or C++ project causes that option to be passed to ICL.  Maybe that's your point.

Steffen_Gross
Beginner

I didn't see any remarks in the compiler documentation , that this flag is only for Fortran .

And on the other hand with devenv it works, also I have compared the output from msbuild (diagnostic level) started from inside Visual Studio and the commandline , and they looks identical for me . Anything I'm missed ....

Steffen_Gross
Beginner

Ok , now I'm a step further .

Not /Qopt-matmul is the problem , /Qparallel is not recognized , when it is set through the properties . If I add this to the additional option on the commandline , the problem doesn't occur longer . The same thing affects also some other options (/Qopenmp,/Qstd=c++11 as example)

pbkenned1
Employee

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this.  It's reproducible.  msbuild doesn't see that /Qparallel is set, and that causes /Qopt-matmul to fail:

ClCompile:
  ***** ClCompile (x64 - Intel C++)
  C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016\windows\bin\Intel64\icl.exe /c /Qm64 /Zi /W3 /O3 /Oi /Qftz /Qopt-matmul /Quse-intel-optimized-headers /D __INTEL_COMPILER=1600 /D _IPP_SEQUENTIAL_STATIC /D "__builtin

Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0 Build 20151021
  Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
icl: : error : option '/Qopt-matmul' not supported
Done Building Project "C:\ISN_Forums\U605502\sample\TestMSB\MFCApplication1\MFC
Application1.vcxproj" (Rebuild target(s)) -- FAILED.

/Qopt-matmul is supported, but requires /Qparallel to be set.  The error message is misleading.

C:\ISN_Forums\U605502\sample\TestMSB\MFCApplication1>icl /Qopt-matmul *.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.1.146 Build 20151021
icl: command line error: option '/Qopt-matmul' not supported

C:\ISN_Forums\U605502\sample\TestMSB\MFCApplication1>icl /Qopt-matmul /Qparallel *.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.1.146 Build 20151021

MainFrm.cpp
MFCApplication1.cpp
MFCApplication1Doc.cpp
MFCApplication1View.cpp
stdafx.cpp

I'll report this to the developers.

Patrick

pbkenned1
Employee

I've reported this to the developers.  I'll pass along updates I receive from them.

Internal tracking ID: DPD200380326

Patrick