Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icl: internal error: out of memory

LLess
Beginner
Hi,

Recently I am getting the following error when compiling.

icl: internal error: out of memory (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 449)

Or

icl: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 463)
icl: internal error: icl: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 463)

Intel Compiler 11.1.067 on XP64 (tons of free space on the disk, 12GB of Ram and 8 cores).
(Integrated with Visual Studio 2008 SP1).

I thought it was an issue with my installation so I cleaned the installation and re-installed from scratch but still no luck.

No sure what I can do.
Right now I can't compile at all one of my projects which is very annoying to say the least.

Best Regards
Laurent Lessieux.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee
This seems an issue with Intel compiler. Could you please share the testcase?

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
Are you sure you don't have some kind of bug in your build environment where the compiler is recursively calling itself until it runs out of memory? The assertion happens when a call to malloc fails.
0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner
It is quite possible that there is a problem with my build enviroment but I don't see how the compiler could be calling itself recursively.

I have temporarily installed the 2011 XE version and it runs perfectly on the same project and build environment..

Oh and it was crashing before no matter what project I was launching so this is likely pointing at some issue in the build and not the source code.

I was hoping to get some information as to what could possibly be wrong.

Thanks.

Laurent.
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
You may try the following:
1. uninstall The Intel Composer XE
2. clean the registry using microsoft cclean.
3. reinstall the the Intel Composer XE
0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner
I did a registry cleanup then installed XP64 SP2 again and all the updates.
It is slightly better.
It now crashes less frequently when I am using the Intel Compiler 11. And when it crashes if I launch the ICL.exe from a command prompt on the C drive, then continue my build from Devstudio (via ant) then it compiles the remaining files fine.

So it is probably not an Intel issue.

Hope to get of XP64 soon and that should solve the issue once and for all.

Laurent.
0 Kudos