Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

icpc 13 and gcc 4.7 c++11 mode problem

woodbird
Beginner

I recently updated to Composer XE 2013 which claims to support GCC 4.7. But there are many problems. For example the simple example below, which triggers the move assignment operator

#include<vector>

int main () {

std::vector bar(10);

bar = std::vector(10);

return 0;

}

when compile on Linux with GCC4.7.1 installed as default GCC, it emits the following error,

$ icpc -std=c++11 -o foo foo.cpp

$ icpc -std=c++11 -o foo foo.cpp && ./foo
/opt/gcc/bin/../include/c++/4.7.1/bits/stl_vector.h(433): error: expression must have a constant value
integral_constant<bool, __move_storage>());
^

/opt/gcc/bin/../include/c++/4.7.1/bits/stl_vector.h(432): error: more than one instance of overloaded function "std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::_M_move_assign [with _Tp=double, _Alloc=std::allocator<double>]" matches the argument list:
function "std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::_M_move_assign(std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> &&, std::true_type) [with _Tp=double, _Alloc=std::allocator<double>]"
function "std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::_M_move_assign(std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> &&, std::false_type) [with _Tp=double, _Alloc=std::allocator<double>]"
argument types are: (std::vector<double, std::allocator<double>>, std::integral_constant<bool, <error-constant>>)
_M_move_assign(std::move(__x),
^
detected during instantiation of "std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> &std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::operator=(std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> &&) [with _Tp=double, _Alloc=std::allocator<double>]" at line 7 of "foo.cpp"

compilation aborted for foo.cpp (code 2)

It seems to be a problem related to icpc's partial support of constexpr. The __move_storage above is defined as constexpr in the std_vector.h header, which shall be valid for template parameter.

Another problem I found earlier today is http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/326830

They both seems related to the constexpr issue. Undefine __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ solves the problem. Shouldn't icpc disable this macro by default for GCC4.7?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
I assume in your example you mean std::vector not std::vector. I was able to reproduce the problem and created this small test case with compiles with g++ in -std=c++0x but not icpc. There really is only one problem here, what you are seeing are cascading errors from this one problem. extern "C" int printf(const char*,...); template struct integral_constant {}; typedef integral_constant true_type; template struct vector { static constexpr bool foo3() { return true; } void foo2(true_type) { printf("PASSED\n"); } void foo() { constexpr bool __move_storage = vector::foo3(); foo2(integral_constant()); } }; int main () { vector v; v.foo(); return 0; } The problem seems to be with our implementation of constexpr when using them in nontype template parameter variables. I have entered this in our bug tracking database as DPD200236356. We will implement a fix for this ASAP. thank you for reporting this defect to us. Judy
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

This issue has been fixed in the 13.0 update 1 and later.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
George_Z_
Beginner

Hi, I am using icpc 13.1.3 20130607. I see exactly same issue mentioned above. Does Intel fix it in 13.1.3? 

0 Kudos