Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

icpc 16.02 compiler bug -trackback and -O0 incompatiblity

John_G_8
Beginner

I discovered this bug on Mac OSX 10.11.3. It may or may not also occur for the Linux version. I have a C++ program that will not compile when using both -trackback and -O0. The failure message is

": internal error: 04020005_2237

compilation aborted for Cmd.cc (code 4)

The attached tar file contains an extraction for the code that was exhibiting this problem. I hope you can reproduce the problem on a mac pro running 10.11.3. The procedure is a follows

icpc -c Cmd.cc

normal compile

icpc -c -traceback Cmd.cc

normal compile

icpc -c -O0  Cmd.cc

normal compile

icpc -c -traceback -O0 Cmd.cc
": internal error: 04020005_2237

compilation aborted for Cmd.cc (code 4)

By my understanding -O0 means no optimization, but apparently something is being done to make the compile fail. At the least it should return an understandable error message, not internal error.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Yuan_C_Intel
Employee
Hi, John I have reproduce the error you reported. Thank you for raising the issue with a reproducible test case. I am entering this in our problem tracking system. We will try to resolve this issue as soon as we can. However, please be advised that this issue may have to be targeted to for the next major release. I will let you know when I have an update on this issue. Thanks.
0 Kudos
John_G_8
Beginner

I am glad you can reproduce the bug. The obvious workaround is to not use -O0 (or probably any -O option) when asking for a traceback. That will do for now.

0 Kudos