cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRUONG__PHONG
Novice

icpc incorrectly links to symbolic linked library on linux

Jump to solution

We are using icpc to dynamically link to an oracle library as follows (in suse linux 11.4)

icpc -shared -m64 -static-intel  -Wl,--version-script .... (object list) ... -L/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/lib -lclntsh

In the directory /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/lib, we have the symbolic link:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle oinstall    69 May 8 2017 libclntsh.so -> /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/lib/libclntsh.so.12.1

We assume that this link will produce a library which will dependant on libclntsh.so .  But the resulted library is dependent on libclntsh.so.12.1, which is the symolic linked library. This causes our library not to be version in dependent.

Please advise.

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TRUONG__PHONG
Novice

Hi,

The ldd shows a dependency on libclntsh.so.12.1.    I did some more research.  This is the problem with Oracle library.   There are 2 ways to ship a library that support older version linking:

a/ make sure when you create the library , the SONAME is non version (objdump -x lib.so | grep SONAME).    The SONAME of the library will be used to stored the dependency when another shared library is built using your lib.  Thus Mutilple version of a shared lirary can have the same SONAME, allowing a shared library to be backward compatible.

b/ Or you use the same name with the version as the SONAME (default) .  In this case libclntsh.so.12.1.  However, you product when installed need to make a link to from this to the latest library that you ship (libclntsh.so.18.1)  to allow backward compatible.

Oracle chose the approach b/, but the install has problem creating the link to the old version causing my problem.

With this, I will close this question. Thx

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

What ldd on this library print?

TRUONG__PHONG
Novice

Hi,

The ldd shows a dependency on libclntsh.so.12.1.    I did some more research.  This is the problem with Oracle library.   There are 2 ways to ship a library that support older version linking:

a/ make sure when you create the library , the SONAME is non version (objdump -x lib.so | grep SONAME).    The SONAME of the library will be used to stored the dependency when another shared library is built using your lib.  Thus Mutilple version of a shared lirary can have the same SONAME, allowing a shared library to be backward compatible.

b/ Or you use the same name with the version as the SONAME (default) .  In this case libclntsh.so.12.1.  However, you product when installed need to make a link to from this to the latest library that you ship (libclntsh.so.18.1)  to allow backward compatible.

Oracle chose the approach b/, but the install has problem creating the link to the old version causing my problem.

With this, I will close this question. Thx

View solution in original post