Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

icx vs icc: no compiler options "-fno-alias" and "-restrict"

xwuupb
Novice

Hi,

I have used icc for many years and now getting started with icx and find that the compiler options "-fno-alias" and "-restrict" are missing. These options are important for program performance written in C. Why are they not included in the icx compiler?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Viet_H_Intel

The icx man page isn’t up to date yet. The LLVM based Intel Compiler (icx) maintains the expectation to be compatible with the current Intel Compiler product. There are options and capabilities that we may support in the future but are not currently available. There are also options we do not plan to support.

You can execute: “icx -qnextgen-diag test.c” to get the full list of what options are to be supported/removed in icx.

-restrict option is on the removed list. (Notice that: LLVM clang doesn't support -restrict as well).

Thanks,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SantoshY_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We see that "-fno-alias" option is supported by the ICX compiler. Please refer to the screenshot below.

SantoshY_Intel_0-1620030345962.png

Regarding the removal of the "-restrict" option, we will get back to you soon.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh

0 Kudos
xwuupb
Novice

Hi, thank you for the info!

I was reading the man page of icx by `man icx` and did not find `-fno-alias`. I really like the icc manual, which is several thousands of pages, but very complete and with examples. It takes time for icx, I think.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

The icx man page isn’t up to date yet. The LLVM based Intel Compiler (icx) maintains the expectation to be compatible with the current Intel Compiler product. There are options and capabilities that we may support in the future but are not currently available. There are also options we do not plan to support.

You can execute: “icx -qnextgen-diag test.c” to get the full list of what options are to be supported/removed in icx.

-restrict option is on the removed list. (Notice that: LLVM clang doesn't support -restrict as well).

Thanks,

Viet_H_Intel

Have we answered your concerns? Please let us know so we can close this thread.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Since you have accepted as a solution, we are going to close this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks,

0 Kudos