Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

idb doesn't start

Darren_Smith
Beginner
Hello,

I've just installed Parallel Studio XE, in order to evaluate it. The icpc compiler seems fine, and also the command line debugger, idbc.

However the GUI debugger - idb - is not working.

Our system is a 64 bit Intel box, running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64).

java -version gives: Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
XE composer is version composerxe-2011.0.084

When I issue the idb command (just "idb" without any parameters), nothing happens. No gui appears, there are no error messages written to console. After about 1 sec the console prompt returns and echo $? gives 13.

I notice there are log files under ~/.idb_12.0_linux_intel64_app/configuration. I see logs of "Bunde.... ....was not resolved." for varies bundle names. There are also some errors inthe log:

grep -i error
!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.eclipse.ui.workbench (290).
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/SWTError
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/SWTError
!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.intel.debugger.ui.rcp (9).
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/ui/plugin/AbstractUIPlugin
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/ui/plugin/AbstractUIPlugin
!MESSAGE Application error
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter$TerminatingClassNotFoundException: An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.intel.debugger.ui.rcp (9).
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/ui/plugin/AbstractUIPlugin

Any suggestions on how to get idb working?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I'll have a closer look at this and will give you an answer once I have a result.
Hubert.
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
I couldn't find a real answer for the problem, but I guess it might have something to do with the JRE you are using. Could you please download the actual JRE from www.java.com (check for the right platform 32/64bit) and install the package on a temp folder (e.g. your $HOME)and expand your PATH on command line manually (just for test purposes), for example:
$ export PATH=~/jre1.6.0_20/bin:$PATH
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
$

Pls. have a try.
Hubert.

0 Kudos
Darren_Smith
Beginner
Hello,

Thanks for your reply - I've now got a bit further.

I downloaded jre-6u24-linux-x64.bin and installed under my home:

~ java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

Issuing the idb command (from the SUSE box) now causes a grey feature-less
square to briefly appear on my Windows box (which is running Exceed X-Server). Then
idb dies:

~ idb

(.:23317): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/etc/opt/gnome/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf64.loaders': No such file or directory

(.:23317): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(.:23317): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(.:23317): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_resize: assertion `width > 0' failed
Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'Failed to load Pango module for id: 'BasicScriptEngineFc'/app/compilers/intel_xe2011_64bit/composerxe-2011.0.084/bin/intel64/idb: line 42: 23317 Aborted (core dumped) java -jar $INSTALLDIR/debugger/gui/intel64/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar -showsplash -gui $IDB_ARGUMENTS
~ echo $?

I suspect my problem is that gtk-2.0 is not installed on the SUSE box. Might be
a hassle for me to get that installed. Is there a way, maybe, to disable the need
for pango?
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi

about: (I suspect my problem is that gtk-2.0 is not installed on the SUSE box.)
I have tested idb Debian squeeze 6 (64)
gtk2 & jre package installed
idb give same problem that you have.
without consulting trace when is loaded it result blank without messages answers.
I have removed this installation Squeeze.
for verified now the number version jre are in this distribution
but i must reinstall debian 6 with icc when i have time for extend more this problem.

http://packages.debian.org/fr/squeeze/sun-java6-jre
give:
sun-java6-jre (6.24-1~squeeze1)
probably is that i have use..
Regards

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
idb work perfectly now..

i have receive message in process install that jre not found
i have install this 3 packages before to continue

default-jre - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime
default-jre-headless - Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless)
sun-java6-jre - Sun Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent

I have recheck
and all process install have result success.

I think problem is it must installed the jre before process install...

I have also is installed O/.S
libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-bin
libgtk2.0-common

Regards
0 Kudos
Hubert_H_Intel
Employee
The following may also help (if your Eclipse is older than 3.5):

$ export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

If that doesn't help you may consider installing GTK+ from http://www.gtk.org/download-linux.html

Hubert.

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
idb loaded in shell have no relation eclipse
i have not shadow of this package instaled and he working perfectly
Also i have not desktop gnome installed only blackbox an twm

Regards
0 Kudos
Darren_Smith
Beginner
I've managed to get idb (gui) working now.

I discovered that both gtk+2 and pango were installed, but under /etc/opt/gnome and /opt/gnome - locations which idb could not find from my environment.

To fix this, I had to generate a gdk-pixbuf64.loaders config file (by calling /opt/gnome/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders-64) and then set the location of that config file in the variable: GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE

To fix the missing pango, I had to locate the pango64.modules file, and then create my own ~/.pangorc and add the contents:

[Pango]
ModuleFiles = /etc/opt/gnome/pango/pango64.modules

[PangoX]
AliasFiles = /opt/gtk2/etc/pango/pangox.aliases

So now the idb (gui) starts up fine and without warnings.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
start idb as root you understand more that it start without any change
start idb as no root you understand that process is interpreted different
also make ls -a to your root directory .
you must see hidden file .idb_12.0.....etc
require you modify some file for it can can run users no root.
I have start idb no root and also distant access with Putty without any problem
same as i observe that in your answers you ignore
my comment previous threads same have no value.
I think not necessary I add more time to help you with comment precise
this change.
Regards
0 Kudos