Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

idb fails to load application

andreaodetti
Beginner
Hi,

I have this strange situation where I can run the application I've compiled and linked with icc, but idb cannot debug it.
I've tried version 10.1.008 and 10.1.011: same result.

Intel Debugger for applications running on IA-32, Version 10.1-33 , Build 20071113
------------------
object file name: foo2
Error: could not start debuggee
Could not start process for foo2
No image loaded ... Recovering ...

I can get a better error message if I define LD_BIND_NOW=1

Intel Debugger for applications running on IA-32, Version 10.1-33 , Build 20071113
------------------
object file name: foo2
System has no thread_db library. GLIBC 2.2.x needed. dlopen error: /lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined symbol: ps_lgetfpregs
System has no thread_db library. GLIBC 2.2.x needed. dlopen error: /lib/libthread_db.so.1: undefined symbol: ps_lgetfpregs
Error: could not start debuggee
Could not start process for foo2
No image loaded ... Recovering ...

gdb succesfully loads the application

GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.6-38.fc8rh)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

Those are all the relevant flags (in my opinion) I use to compile

/opt/intel/cc/10.1.011/bin/icc -fpic -gdwarf-2 -g3 foo2.cpp -pthread

System is

Fedora 8 - x86
Kernel 2.6.23.9
glibc 2.7
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-62
libstdc++-4.1.2-33

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bkrolland
Beginner

I'm hitting the same behavior -- and I note that no one has responded to you on this.

Did you find a solution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
John_O_Intel
Employee

Sorry you're having this problem with idb. Are you running on a 64-bit processor & trying to debug a 32-bit application ? Are you able to debug with gdb ? What OS are you running ?

best regards,
_|ohnO

0 Kudos
bkrolland
Beginner

Yes -- we're running on 64-bit and trying to debug 32-bit apps.

We get the same problem with both idb and idbe.

We are able to debug with gdb.

The OS is "out of the box" Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server

I've verified that I have both the 64-bit and 32-bit "compat" libs installed ...

I'm running the 10.1.013 compiler / debugger pack.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,

I've filed an issue with the developer and is being investigated (Issue#476388). I'll update the result of our investigation as soon as I've it, just FYI.

-regards,

KG

0 Kudos
bkrolland
Beginner

Thanks -- I took this down the "premier.intel.com" support path as well but clearly this forum will benefit from whatever gets found.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Quoting - bkrolland

Thanks -- I took this down the "premier.intel.com" support path as well but clearly this forum will benefit from whatever gets found.

Hi,
This issue was addressed in Preimer, but forgot to update here. We couldn't reproduce the problem, but did get information from the customer who filed this issue in Premier. One possible explanation is that their EL5 uses a newer pthread library, whose corresponding libthread_db library requires the entry ps_lgetfregs defined (functions named ps_* in libthread_db are debugger callbacks to help libthread_db get info out of the debuggee). IDB doesn't define that particular callback because the libthread_db from all the Linux releases (including Intel64 EL5.0) we have doesn't use nor require it.

Upon further input from the customer, the error messages were harmless it seems and the debugger did load eventually, just FYI.

Please update the latest package from Intel Registration Center and reopen this forum if the error still persists.

-regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos