Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

installation can not find libstdc++.so.5 on 64-bit Linux

jamesgpetersongmail_

I am trying to install the 64-bit compiler (l_cproc_p_11.1.069_intel64) and having a dependency problem in step 4:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following required for installation commands are missing:
libstdc++.so.5 (library)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

libstdc++.so.5 does in fact exist on the system in both /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64. /usr/lib is symbolicly linked to /usr/lib64. ldconfig shows the following:

$ /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libstdc++.so.5

libstdc++.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5

The following describes the system:

$ uname -s
Linux
$ uname -r
2.6.32-gentoo
$ uname -m
x86_64
$ uname -p
Intel Xeon CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz

There are similar posts, but I believe all were actually missing the library. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
apolo74
Beginner

Hi jamesg....

I don't have an answer to your problem... jsut wanted to post my problem in your thread since seems to be related and maybe someone can give us a common solution.

I just upgraded my Ubuntu to Karmic Koala (9.10) and installed l_cproc_p_11.1.069_ia32 !!! NOTE -> ia32!!!

everything went really smoothly but but when trying to compile a simple helloWorld.cpp I got:

.../11.1/069/bin/ia32/mcpcom: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
compilation aborted for hello.cpp (code 127)

I do have libstdc++.so.6 but NOT libstdc++.so.5 however it seems that the latter is an obsolete library and it's not coming with Ubuntu any longer.

What would be the right step to take???

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I believe Ron's write-up on Ubuntu installation at the top of the linux Fortran forum discusses installation of the backward compatibility libstdc++.so.5 which are required by Intel compilers. As Ubuntu uses that directory structure which doesn't comply with LSB, the situation is complicated, should the icc installer not recognize your installation as having the odd Debian/Ubuntu directories.
0 Kudos
hpsmouse
Beginner
My solution was to get a copy of libstdc++5 from the earlier version, and it worked.
0 Kudos
apolo74
Beginner
Same for me... it's working now
0 Kudos
jamesgpetersongmail_

Thanks for the reply. Were you having the same problem that I am having - with the installation, or was yours a case like apollo74 where libstdc++5 was missing altogether and caused the compiler to fail?

What version of libstdc++5 do you have installed. I have libstdc++.so.5.0.7 installed and the installation of the C compiler still fails as outlined above.

0 Kudos
jamesgpetersongmail_
As stated above, libstdc++5 is indeed installed on my system. In fact both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are installed and are in the standard directories, but yet the installation was not happy with what it saw. The final solution for me was to do a "silent install" which bypasses some of the checks. The compiler is now installed and working.
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
I just bumped into this earlier today (for a different reason though). Instead of copying I installed the compatibility libstdx++ library using the standard package installer.

Hope that helps,
Peter
0 Kudos