Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

intel c++ studio xe 2011 on ubuntu

rohitsinghbhadana
Hello,
I am new to Intel c++ compiler and just downloaded the free version(does it matter)provided of it for linux(Intel C++ Studio XE 2011 for Linux). I tried installing it on my PC which runs on a ubuntu 10.10. During installation,after checking the pre-requisites it showed following result.
Step no.1 of 6 | Options > Missing Optional Pre-requisite(s)
____________________________________________________________________________________
-- Intel Vtune Amplifier XE 2011:unsupported OS
________________________________________________________________________________-
Now my question is this product not supported by ubuntu. if yes then is there a way around?
What other Linux distributions are supported by it.Please help!!!
Thanks
RSB
0 Kudos
26 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Apart from "optional pre-requisite" being an oxymoron, it is probably the case that your `distro of Linux is one of those that are not officially supported by Intel.

If so, provided that you have the other prerequisites (e.g., gcc, g++, binutils) installed, the installation will probably work fine, and is worth trying.

If the attempt is successful, you are "home free". If not, you have added a few datapoints to a plot of Intel package 'xx works' against 'Linux `distro'.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
It should work perfectly,if it not working with ubuntu, i do know where it could work ...
install libstd++ binutils ,libtool, libcompat, ia32
if some packages are absent,run update side repository www.
Regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This simply means that Ubuntu 10.10 is too new to have been tested fully with these Intel tool releases. As 10.04 is supported, one would think you may not have many problems if you accept the invitation to proceed with unsupported installation. If there are problems, you are welcome to give details.
0 Kudos
rohitsinghbhadana
Hi
Thanks for reply.
Now I already had the packages you told installedexceptIA32 for which I am not sure. The synaptic package manager shows a utility microcode.ctl ,which says that
- it decodes andsends new microcode to the kernel driver for Intel IA32
family (Pentium Pro, PII, Celeron, PIII, Xeon, Pentium 4, etc.) and
Intel x86_64 family processors;
- it signals the kernel driver to release any buffers it may hold.
Shall I install this. Or is there a specific utility.
Also on seeing other replies I continued with installation and now this message comes
Step no: 4 of 6 | Options > Missing Optional Pre-requisite(s)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing optional pre-requisite
-- Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011: The system does not use a supported
Intel Architecture processor
My processor is Intel Pentium D 820 which I think is of IA32 family only.
What shall I do now .Pls guide me ahead.
Regards
RSB
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
My processor is Intel Pentium D 820 which I think is of IA32 family only

--
not true. The D 820 provides Intel-64 capability, according to this link. To use the capability, however, you need a 64-bit OS and, possibly, BIOS support.

As to the question regarding microcode, I do not know what, if any, bearing it has on the installation of the Intel compiler(s).
0 Kudos
kfsone
New Contributor I
I'm using the Linux ICC under Maverick without issues.
"unsupported OS" simply means that, at this time, Intel do not officiallysupport Maverick.
Just don't run headlong into installing Natty and you should be fine.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
LIB IA32 no relation with your processor is for major lib Linux using Bi arch
IA32 is required for compiler INTEL 64 bits ... no relation with your specific processor.
Install this package if you want it work.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/fr/hardy/ia32-libs

Regards

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
In case your issue is still not solved, seethis thread and an article with lots of discussions about installation on ubuntu - http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=65584&o=d&s=lr

Jennifer
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
If you having installed Ubuntu packages distro 64 bit is forced that your processor is 64 bits,
All Linux distro install are rejected if you want use the media 64 bits, on an machine processor is 32.
In process build,some old processor same (Prescot) could be accepting option -march=core2 or mtune=core2 but rejected in process execute, but without this flag it can work perfectly 64 mode with other flags .
Regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, much of the confusion might be avoided if OP would divulge whether the OS is 32-bit (where only the Intel ia32 compilers are supported), or, if 64-bit, which compilers are to be installed. The XE 2011 "intel64" compilers should install OK on Ubuntu 64-bit with no prerequisites other than a working g++ installation plus a working Sun-compatible JRE. The ia32 compilers, of course, would require, in addition, at least a working installation for g++ -m32.
0 Kudos
rohitsinghbhadana
Hi
Thanks all for reply.
The OS I am running is a 32 bit version of ubuntu 10.10.Also before now I didn't know that my processor has a 64 bit architecture(thanks people I know now).

And gcc and g++ are both installed and working perfectly. I request to please list all the packages required to complete this installation.

Thanks again in advance.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
More to the point, what problem do you encounter when you proceed with installation of Intel C++ for ia32 after receiving the warning about unsupported Ubuntu version?
0 Kudos
rohitsinghbhadana
Hi
At step 4 following message came
Step no: 4 of 6 | Options > Missing Optional Pre-requisite(s)
Missing optional pre-requisite
-- Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011: The system does not use a supported
Intel Architecture processor.
I have an intel microprocessor so why such a comment?
I tried installing ia32 libs using command "apt-get install ia32-libs"but no such package was found , even tried link provided by Mr. bustaf but couldn't locate a donwload link for i386 or IA64.
Pls help.
RSB
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
You have external repository address informed ?
See if you can use (aptitude utility)
At shell command:
1] aptitude update (you wait list package updated)
2] aptitute search IA32 (you must see IA32 packages)
3] aptitude install ......(ia32 package name in list)

(but couldn't locate a donwload link for i386 or IA64.)
(no) this package is only (amd64 type) but it can be used also processor Intel 64
Regards
0 Kudos
rohitsinghbhadana
Hi
I installed aptitude and ran above said commands, after "aptitude search IA32"commandgot following list
root@Machine-RQ530AA-ACJ-SG2080IL-FD440:~# aptitude search IA32
p grub-efi-ia32 - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-I
v lsb-core-ia32 -
v lsb-cxx-ia32 -
v lsb-desktop-ia32 -
v lsb-graphics-ia32 -
v lsb-languages-ia32 -
v lsb-multimedia-ia32 -
v lsb-printing-ia32 -
v lsb-qt4-ia32 -
Which one of them is that package or do I have to install all?
one more question you asked if I have external repository address informed so I wanted to ask how do we specify external repository addresses to manager?
Regards
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
??? you can test lsb-core-ia32 lsb-cxx-ia32 but i think is not this packages
(how do we specify external repository addresses to manager ? )
in file (/etc/apt/sources.list) you have list external address link repository,
see if you have external link ??

load this link or similar for path repository address
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=424099
after link added to /etc/apt/sources.list) require command:
aptitude update (you wait list package updated)
I think you have version 32 bit ubuntu operating system installed not 64 ....
exact name you must see is ia32-libs
show me result you computer at shell
gcc -v
please
Regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This forum is about the C++ compiler. If you are having difficulties with VTune, there is a separate forum for that. There is no requirement to have VTune running in part or entirety in order to install C++. If C++ installation does complain about VTune not being available, that seems to be a bug in the installer.

Further, a "missing optional prerequisite" shouldn't deter you from continuing with installation, if you wish to try the compiler on an untested distro.

If VTune doesn't recognize Pentium D running 32-bit Ubuntu as supporting SSE2, that could be a bug. Does your OS report SSE2 support? If not, that would be a bug in the OS. Evidently, Pentium D was old by the time Ubuntu came to market, but even then, one would normally use the 64-bit linux, so Ubuntu may not have tested this. Your choice of the 32-bit OS restricts you to ia32/i386 software; you can't use x86_64/Intel64.

As you've seen, no one here appears to be familiar with the Ubuntu microcode.ctl, in case that may be needed for Ubuntu to recognize your CPU type.

You would not be able to make use of IA64 (Itanium) software on Pentium D.

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
I am sorry your are wrong with your remarks...
2 iso existing Unbuntu... one is 32 and one other 64
Go here :
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
you discover two distinct type Ubuntu 32 & 64 in the list

I think..
they package could be showed only on 32 bit operating system not in the 64
p grub-efi-ia32 - GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-I
v lsb-core-ia32 -
v lsb-cxx-ia32 -
v lsb-desktop-ia32 -
v lsb-graphics-ia32 -
v lsb-languages-ia32 -
v lsb-multimedia-ia32 -
v lsb-printing-ia32 -
v lsb-qt4-ia32

Problem is easy i think probably
(user have 32 bits o/s and want install compiler 64)

About microcode if you want take an lesson ,it is possible....
also
Largely better that user install compiler complete with all tools utility for it can working correctly

Regards

(I finish busy before)
Rohitsinghbhadana
Ubuntu is an base debian
http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
About your processor (EMT64T)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-820_2.html#sect0
Same i have wrote before as less for Prescot (Hyper-Threading not working 820)
but It work perfectly with 64 operating system
Is showed one core in link but better you load command for verify
cat /proc/cpuinfo for verify if not two (0,1) ???
for showing you firmare complete
use dmidecode or dmidecode -t4 for processor only.
If you have problem with last compiler Intel
you have also choice to use Gnu Gcc that working perfectly compatible...
I you have 32 O/S largely better you move O/S 64 for improve performance machine..

Regards
0 Kudos
rohitsinghbhadana
Hi
Thanks all for reply . I am really very muchgratefulto everybody.
I am happy that initial problem is almost solved, all because of you people , thanks again.
I just ignored the warning and continued with installation. Now the C/C++ compiler are working ,I mean can read man pages easily but there are new problems.
1. I am not sure whether Vtune amplifier is installed .so how to check it.
2. I have to write the following command every time I start a invoke a new terminal.
"source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh ia32"
for commands icc and icpc to work else commands not recognised message appears.
3. Is ICC not ANSI C compatible as it does not know
pls see:
cfirst.c(2): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "conio.h"
#include
^
compilation aborted for cfirst.c (code 4)
or I am wrong somewhere?
Pls also inform me if I am going against forum rules as I started against installation on ubuntu 10.10 but have new queries now.
Waiting for reply
Regads
RSB
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
1. VTune is a separate software tools product, with its own installer. If you didn't install it explicitly, it shouldn't be there. You could check according to your package manager to see which intel software products are installed. I'm confused myself by the marketing and the fact that there is a Windows Composer product which includes a reduced (but satisfactory) version of C++ compiler together with the Amplifier profiler.
2. The standard icc installation requires you to source the compilervars script, so that you don't get the associated environment variables set accidentally. In principle, you could keep multiple versions installed and set the one you need at will. Unfortunately, there is a bug in the xe 2011 where the last installed version blocks all earlier xe installations, but it ought to be fixed soon.
You can add the source command to your bash profile script, if you can remember that it's there. Using the symlink you quoted, it will adjust automatically to the latest xe 2011 when you upgrade. There are too many options in profile scripts for this to be added as a suggestion during installation.
3. conio.h isn't ANSI or ISO C compatible. As it is a vendor-dependent header with no support in standards or on any linux distro, it's up to you to correct any source code which uses it. A standard C compiler must not provide a hidden conio.h. You can find plenty of advice on this subject by a web search. For example, if you are making ncurses function calls, install that package (if not already present) and include the header which comes with it.

There is no rule against installing Intel software products on newer than supported distros; you simply must accept that there hasn't been an opportunity to complete full testing. The most common problem is with usage of C++ headers which may have changed between the g++ installation which was tested and the one you have installed. Given that a sequence of Ubuntu releases stopping one short of yours is supported, it's reasonable to suppose the newer version will be tested during development of compiler updates, and that any bugs you may report will be dealt with.
0 Kudos