Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

internal compiler error (permissions?)

kmhazelw
Beginner
I installed the Intel C++ compiler as root. When I try to use it to compile anything I get this error:

icc: internal error: error generating temporary file name, check disk space and permissions (shared/driver/hostutil.c, line 901)

The disk is not full, so I assume it is a permissions issue. Where do I need to change permissions?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JenniferJ
do you see the tmp or temp environment variable? if not, it's needed.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
kmhazelw
Beginner
Can you please clarify your response? Are you asking me to SET an environment variable? Doesn't the iccvars script set all of the environment variables it needs?
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
the "tmp" or "temp" are set by the OS. In most case they're there. But there're cases they're removed.

it's a guess that maybe the tmp|temp are not defined so the compiler error. if they're defined, it would besomething else.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
kmhazelw
Beginner
If you are asking whether there is a directory called /tmp, then yes it is there and is world writable.

I tried to read between the lines in your previous post and set the environment variables as follows:

export TMP=/tmp
export TEMP=/tmp
export tmp=/tmp
export temp=/tmp

But I still got the same error message. Do you have any concrete suggestions for what else I might try?
0 Kudos
kmhazelw
Beginner

I am sorry. I now see that the /tmp directory was actually not world writeable. Making it world writeable resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
FYI.
we've filed a bug report regarding the "internal error". it should emit an error msg instead.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Milind_Kulkarni__Int
New Contributor II
This issue is fixedand it displaysplain old error message now instead of the compiler failing catastrophically.
0 Kudos