Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

internal_error: 20000_27078 since updating to 2013 sp1

David_H_
Beginner

I get this very cryptic and unhelpful error message since updating to 2013 sp1 Update 2 (also happened with SP1 and SP1 Update 1).  In the past I have just reverted back to the 2013 suite to solve this problem, but am now getting concerned that this hasn't been fixed yet!

If I could at least get a line number out of the damned thing then I could experiment with the source file and produce a simple test case.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

David.

The full error message is as follows (where <filename> is the C file where the problem occurs):

": internal error: 20000_27078

compilation aborted for <filename> (code 4)

The command arguments are as follows:

icc  -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/atlas/include -I/usr/local/atlas/include/atlas -pedantic -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -DAKS -Wcast-qual -Wno-parentheses -Wconversion    -O2 -DINTEL64 -DX86_64_OSX -m64 -xHost     -O2  -I../../src/INCLUDE -c <filename> -o <filename>.out

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Maybe compiler does not have permission to process that file?

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry for the trouble. The cryptic error message is a crash in the optimizer, you should be able to compile successfully with optimizer disabled (-O0)

You could attach a preprocessed file and we could do the investigation for you (add -E option and redirect output to a text file, then upload the file), or if you'd rather, try disabling the function bodies (#if 0) to find which function has the problem -- using binary search of course. 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks Melanie. Yes, David, if you can attach the .i file like Melanie noted, I can file the issue with our developers, appreciate much.

_Regards.

0 Kudos
David_Pimentel
Beginner

I've also run into this problem, so I will not create a separate bug report. I have observed this problem with the following version of icpc:

% icpc -V
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

I've attached a specific CPP file that produces this internal error. This source file is taken from the NOMAD package found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nomad-bb-opt/ .

The following command produces the error on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago) system:

% icpc -O2 -ansi -traceback -I. -c Quad_Model.cpp -o Quad_Model.o
": internal error: 20000_27078

compilation aborted for Quad_Model.cpp (code 4)

If the -O2 option is either removed or replaced with -O3, the error persists.

The following three commands succeed:

% icpc -g -ansi -traceback -I. -c Quad_Model.cpp -o Quad_Model.o

% icpc -O0 -ansi -traceback -I. -c Quad_Model.cpp -o Quad_Model.o

% icpc -O1 -ansi -traceback -I. -c Quad_Model.cpp -o Quad_Model.o

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Will you please attach a preprocessed source file (icpc -c -E ... > file.txt -- attach file.txt)

Also, which version of gcc and icc are you using?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
David_Pimentel
Beginner

I have observed this problem with the following versions of icpc and gcc:

% icpc -V
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

% gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.7.0
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

The attached file was processed with the following command:

% icpc -E -ansi -traceback -I. -c Quad_Model.cpp > Quad_Model.i

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Thanks, I can reproduce your failure and opened DPD200357624 in our bugs database

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Yes, I could reproduce also. Thanks Melanie I've tagged the issue id to this issue, appreciate much
_Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,

This issue is fixed in the latest 15.0 version that's out which you can download from the Intel Registration Center, thanks.

_Kittur

0 Kudos