Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

internal error: assertion failed: ensure_il_scope_exists: NULL IL scope

Wenzel_Jakob
Beginner

Hi,

the following preprocessed file crashes the newest XE 2013 composer on Linux (it works in 2012). 

To reproduce, gunzip the attachment and invoke "icpc -std=c++0x problem.cpp"

Thanks, Wenzel

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Wenzel, Thanks for your test case. I'm able to reproduce the problem you reported. I've entered this issue to our problem tracking daabase. Will let you know when I have an update regarding it. Thank you. -- Feilong H. Intel Developer Support Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools
0 Kudos
wjakob
Beginner
Hi, are there any updates on this, or is there a way to work around the issue? Thanks! Wenzel
0 Kudos
wjakob
Beginner
Hi, sorry to keep nagging, but this issue is currently from successfully deploying the Intel compiler for my application. Is this anything I can do the code to work around the issue, or is this something that will be fixed soon? Thanks, Wenzel
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Wenzel, I wasn't notified by your new posts. Sorry. I'm sending a note to engineering team, asking for a workaround. Will get back to you once I hear from them. Thanks, Feilong
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Wenzel, I heard from engineering team. They replied that we enabled the __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ macro with the –std=c++0x option in Gnu 4.6 and 4.7 compatibility modes which enables new C++11 features like constexpr which is used in the numeric_limits class. Could you please try disabling this macro in the command line, i.e. adding -U__GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ to the command line? This should not break anything that worked before since it was implicitly disabled in icc 12.1. Thanks, Feilong
0 Kudos
wjakob
Beginner
Hi, it still fails with the extra parameter you suggested: [bash] % icpc -std=c++0x -D__GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ problem.cpp src/libcore/ssemath.cpp(28): internal error: assertion failed: ensure_il_scope_exists: NULL IL scope (shared/cfe/edgcpfe/il.c, line 7439) const __attribute__ ((aligned (16))) SSEVector SSEConstants::max = SSEVector(std::numeric_limits::max()); ^ compilation aborted for problem.cpp (code 4) [/bash] Wenzel
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Sorry. I should have tested it before sending it to you. I'm passing the result to engineering team. Thanks, Feilong
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
The instructions were to *UNDEFINE* __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__, not define it. However, the error remains so this isn't a work-around.
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
MY MISTAKE. I used a preprocessed file rather than the original source file. If i compile the original example directly with -U__GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__, I don't get an error. Thus, the work-around appears to work.
0 Kudos
wjakob
Beginner
Sorry for posting confusing terminal output (I had actually played with "-D" and "-U" and then posted the wrong one). As you pointed out correctly, applying this flag to an already preprocessed file does no good, since it is obviously meant to affect the preprocessor. After adding an #undef to my header file, everything compiles nicely. I trust that Intel will still fix the underlying C++0x-related issue eventually? Thanks, Wenzel
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi, Glad to hear that the workaround is actually working. Yeah, engineering team will implement a fix for this issue. Thanks, Feilong
0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Composer XE 2013 Update 3 contains a fix for this issue.  It has been posted to Intel Registration Center.  You may download it and give a try.  Please do let me know in case that the problem still persists.

Feilong

0 Kudos