Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

internal error assertion failed

pivo12
Beginner

Sirs,

I know the '/v' is not a valid compiler option, but when I try to use it, I got the following error messages:

icl /v

Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 13.1.3.198 Build 20130607
Copyright (C) 1985-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
icl: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/v'

icl: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/driver.c, line 370)

--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Intel i5-2400 CPU

Steven T.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JenniferJ

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I checked with 13.0 update5, it does have this issue. But with the 14.0 beta update it works fine. We will be only fixing high bugs for 13.x now, so I will not file any ticket for this one against 13.x.

thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...icl: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/driver.c, line 370) I did a quick verification with version 12 and I confirm that the problem is version 13 specific. ..\Composer XE 2011 SP1>icl.exe /v Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 12.1.7.371 Build 20120928 Copyright (C) 1985-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. icl: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/v' icl: command line error: no files specified; for help type "icl /help" ..\Composer XE 2011 SP1>icl.exe -v Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 12.1.7.371 Build 20120928 Copyright (C) 1985-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. icl: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/v' icl: command line error: no files specified; for help type "icl /help" I didn't have any 'Assertion failed' messages.
0 Kudos
Stephane_L_1
Beginner

Under a Linux-like environment for Windows, most of program need the usual configure, make, make install to get it running. Using Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE 2013 under cygwin, I am trying to compile a program by first doing

./configure

I got the following error message : checking whether the C compiler works ... no
                                                   configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
                                                   See 'config.log' for more details

Of course, looking at config.log, the error message is the same as Steven T.: 

icl: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/-version'
icl: internal error: Assertion failed <shared/driver/driver.c, line 370>

So although it is a minor error, I cannot compile some programs that need to check the version of my C compiler during the configure process. Is there a simple way to fix this problem instead of waiting the 14.0 version ? 

Thank you,

Stephane L.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Stephane, Thanks for the information. If you really want to see the issue is resolved create a complete test-case ( with all additional files, etc / I mean configuration files ) and upload it.
0 Kudos
Stephane_L_1
Beginner

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

Sergey,

This is the test case the autoconf tools use for "checking for C compiler version" :

[bash]$CC --version[/bash]

Where $CC is the compiler command (e.g. icc, icl, gcc) and in Stephane's case on windows it is using /-version rather than --version.

This is the test case the autoconf tools use for the "checking whether the C compiler works"

[cpp]

int
 main ()
 {

;
 return 0;
 }

[/cpp]

As per the OP, the testcase that is causing Stephane's autoconf to fail is likely the invocation of "icl /-version", which is your minimal reproducer testcase.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>int >>main () >>{ >>; >>return 0; >>} Thanks, Casey. Did you put ; in the main function accidently or it is just the typo?
0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

No typo.  It looks a bit odd, but that is what autotools uses to test that the C compiler can produce executables.

0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

Stephane, 

Try compiling the testcase in my post a few posts above yours (the same one Sergey quoted) or a simple hello-world.  Post your icl command line and the output of the compilation.  

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...See `config.log' for more details Please upload it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

This might be a longshot and I'm not too familiar with cygwin.  Configure is likely using a temp directory to compile its tests (e.g /tmp on linux), and you may either not have that setup or may not have write permissions to it.  Again, that might be a longshot but its worth looking at.

0 Kudos