Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

internal error: backend signals

ale5000
Beginner

I'm trying to compile a 64bit build but I get these:
xilink error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
(0) internal error: backend signals
xilink error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)

The sources are here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jymytzzmko3

What can be the cause?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Eric_P_Intel
Employee
It appears this bug can also be avoided by removing /Qparallel. I'm curious, did you enable /Qparallel, or did it show up by default (hopefully not)?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Eric_P_Intel
Employee
The first problem seems to be that you need to create an x64 "solution platform" and make it active for your x64 "solution configuration". Beyond that, the only error seems to be linking in the missing vdasm* functions. (Using 10.1 compiler)
What version of the Intel compiler are you using?

If you use 11.0.066, you will get the internal error unless you disable WPO and add "/Qipo-" to the compiler command line. This is a compiler bug that should be posted to premier.intel.com if you have access. You are not alone in seeing this type of problem.

0 Kudos
Eric_P_Intel
Employee
It appears this bug can also be avoided by removing /Qparallel. I'm curious, did you enable /Qparallel, or did it show up by default (hopefully not)?

0 Kudos
ale5000
Beginner
Visual Studio 2003 doesn't have 64bit support but it works by specifying "/machine:AMD64" as custom option.

I'm using the version 11.0.066, disabling "/Qparallel" seems to fix the problem, thanks.
I had enabled the option manually.
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
Quoting - ale5000
Visual Studio 2003 doesn't have 64bit support but it works by specifying "/machine:AMD64" as custom option.

I'm using the version 11.0.066, disabling "/Qparallel" seems to fix the problem, thanks.
I had enabled the option manually.

There is a known bug when /Qipo AND /Qparallel are enable. Using either of these option by itself should work.
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
Quoting - Qale (Intel)

There is a known bug when /Qipo AND /Qparallel are enable. Using either of these option by itself should work.

This issue is resolved in the latest compiler update version 11.0.072, posted on Feb 2009
0 Kudos
noona
Beginner
Quoting - Qale (Intel)
Quoting - Qale (Intel)

This issue is resolved in the latest compiler update version 11.0.072, posted on Feb 2009
Could you please post the exact steps for disabling IPO? I am getting the same error "1>(0): internal error: backend signals". I'm using OpenMp 3 and I have this line in the OpenMp support line in project properties>>configuration properties>> c/c++>>language:
Generate Parallel Code (/openmp, equiv. to /Qopenmp)
p.s. I am using Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition 11.1
thanks
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

> internal error: backend signals

Getting this error does not necessarily mean that it's the same error. You typically get this error when the compiler has reach some internal compiler limit. The error is pretty much useless because it does not indicate why/where the failure occur in the compiler. You still need to debug the problem. The originaly problem specified in this thread was resolved awhile back.

In VS2005, IPO is enabled when the following properties are set:

1) Project Properties -> Configuration Properties -> General -> Whole Program Optimization -> "Yes"

or

2) Project Properties -> Configuration Properties -> C++ -> Optimization -> Intel Specific -> Interprocedural Optimization -> Multi-file (/Qipo)

Setting the property in #1 will automatically set #2 when using Intel compiler.

0 Kudos
noona
Beginner
Quoting - Qale (Intel)

> internal error: backend signals

Getting this error does not necessarily mean that it's the same error. You typically get this error when the compiler has reach some internal compiler limit. The error is pretty much useless because it does not indicate why/where the failure occur in the compiler. You still need to debug the problem. The originaly problem specified in this thread was resolved awhile back.

In VS2005, IPO is enabled when the following properties are set:

1) Project Properties -> Configuration Properties -> General -> Whole Program Optimization -> "Yes"

or

2) Project Properties -> Configuration Properties -> C++ -> Optimization -> Intel Specific -> Interprocedural Optimization -> Multi-file (/Qipo)

Setting the property in #1 will automatically set #2 when using Intel compiler.

I think you're right. So the problem is in the compiler and not in my code? If so then what problem do I need to debug? the problem occured after I added some OpenMp parallel code, without it the build is successful.
I am using VS2008.

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
Quoting - noona

I think you're right. So the problem is in the compiler and not in my code? If so then what problem do I need to debug? the problem occured after I added some OpenMp parallel code, without it the build is successful.
I am using VS2008.

It hard to say where the problem lies, but the compiler should not be issueing internal error, so at this point, I would consider it a compiler bug.

If you can provide a reproducible test case, submit a bug to premier support.

Does this happen at compile time or link time? Have you identify the file that is causing the internal error when compile with Intel compiler? If so, create a preprocess file and see if you can reproduce the problem by compiling the preprocess file only.

0 Kudos
noona
Beginner
Quoting - Qale (Intel)
Quoting - noona

I am using VS2008.

It hard to say where the problem lies, but the compiler should not be issueing internal error, so at this point, I would consider it a compiler bug.

If you can provide a reproducible test case, submit a bug to premier support.

Does this happen at compile time or link time? Have you identify the file that is causing the internal error when compile with Intel compiler? If so, create a preprocess file and see if you can reproduce the problem by compiling the preprocess file only.

It happens during compile time, and yes I know which file is causing the error.
I read that in order to creae a preprocesses file I need to add "-EP -P" to the compiler options, where do I do that?
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel
Quoting - noona
It happens during compile time, and yes I know which file is causing the error.
I read that in order to creae a preprocesses file I need to add "-EP -P" to the compiler options, where do I do that?

1) First you should right click on the file -> compile to see if it fails just by compiling that file.

2) Once you have verify #1, Right click on the file in question -> properties -> Configuration properties -> C/C++ -> Command Line -> add option -P to the Additional Options. This will create the file with a .i extension.

3) Save the original .cpp file and rename the .i file to the same name with a .cpp extension and compile that file to see if it fails.

4) Once you have verify the failure in #3, copy the compilation command line from the build log,and submit the bug to premier support.
0 Kudos